banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you setup a trem equipped guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you setup a trem equipped guitar?

Notably a Gotoh vintage trem. I don't know how to change the angles, action, string height etc. I'm really lost as to what are good measurements to go by (as this is my first trem equipped guitar). Any help would be greatly appreciated (I have a lot to learn with these guitars).
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: How do you setup a trem equipped guitar?

On yours, I'd tighten the 6 screws a bit snug, then tighten the claw screws so it pulls the bridge down hard, and even add 2 springs. Anchored. That's just my opinion, since Fender types don't stay in perfect tune, and it pulls your other strings flat, when you bend notes.
    If it were a Floyd, I'd put 3 springs in it, keep the Floyd baseplate flush with the body, and keep it floating, so you can pull up and dive bomb. Everyone does it different, but that's how I approach Fender trems and Floyd trems.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks Gearjoneser, but I'm having issues with it all the way down. I get horrible string buzz. I don't have a clue how to adjust string height. I tried the screws where the saddles are hoping that would heighten the strings so they don't buzz, but it didn't. What are the screws on the top back part of the trem for (there are six of them)? I tried adjusting them and didn't see or feel a noticeable difference. I really need this to work. Thanks

P.S. (I have the claw springs locked down heavy and there are 5 claw springs all together so it's not going anywhere ).
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

If you messed with the screws on the back of the bridge....the one's that screw into the saddles, you've messed up your intonation. if you use the tiny allen wrench and adjust the height of the saddles, they should adhere to the curvature or radius of the fretboard. the screws at the back of the bridge adjust you intonation, as you probably know. Play every note on the fretboard. If any are sharp, move the saddle away from the fretboard. If any notes on the fretboard are flat, move the saddle toward the fretboard. First anchor it all down, chuck the bar. Then get the saddle height playing without much buzz, but low enough for fast action. Then, test the pitch of every note on the neck. Use a screwdriver to move the saddles back and forward. Intonate, and you're done. do the other steps first though. Intonation is always last, since other adjustments effect it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks Gearjoneser, I'm finally starting to understand this

Is the reason I'm having really bad string buzz because the two posts in the front of the bridge are completely screwed down? Do I need to loosten them to get the string height better?

I'll start by adjusting the the height of the saddles and then look towards intonating each note properly.

I never realized there was so much to these trems

Comment

Are you going to use the trem? If you are, you need to set it up diffrently than you have it now. BTW, Fender Vintage style trems can stay in tune great, even with Kluson style tuners. The secret is in the nut, how you set your trem, and how you wind the strings to the tuners.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I'm definitely going to use the trem, but I'm trying to get it in "non free floating mode".

After some tweaking, I have managed to match the radius curve of the fretboard and I have set the intonation properly (so that when I for instance hit the harmonic note above the 12th fret and press down on its respective note, they match perfectly (before they were a little sharp).

My problem is in the setup of the two screws on the front of the bridge and the springs on the back of my guitar.

I managed to get rid of the string buzz, I had to loosten the two screws on the front. This got me in much better shape. However, the springs on the back, always screw up what I work on. They actually bend those two screws on my bridge (ones at almost a 45 degree angle). I figured tightening the screws would set it back to normal, but it didn't. I've always been told that the front (where the two screws are) on the bridge and the back should be at an even level, so I do that, and then the tension from the springs screw up everything. How do I get around this???

Comment

How many springs do you have in the back? I normally use three when I plan on using a trem. I assume your trem is a twin post and not a 6 screw (like the MIM and Vintage trems). On my Carvin's Wilkinson (10-46) I have the bridge in full floating mode with about a step upwards bend and it can go completely slack when dropping. On a strat with a two post (or vintage trems, for that matter), I like to see about 1/8" of space between the rear edge (facing away from the neck) of the trem plate and the body while using 3 springs. I install the middle spring in the middle hole in the block, and the two outer springs angling away from the middle spring in the block, in somewhat of a v. It'll look something like this: \l/

Hope this helps some.

Comment

Thanks for the response Benjy, I never thought of that. I have all 5 springs on the back tightened down. I'll have to try angling the springs, I always went from the respective hole in the block straight to the other end.

Comment

I don't get it: WHY THE F*CK DOES THE F*CKING SCREWS COME LOSE/OFF WHENEVER I BEND????

sorry... phew, had to get that off my chest. I don't get this. I can't screw those two screws on the front of the bridge (aka the screws closest to the pickups) all the way down because of fret buzz. So I loosten them to get the string height higher. Ok, no more fret buzz, the first fret comes out clearly... yay. Now I bend down, works well. Bend slightly upward and the whole thing comes apart. Why??? I just want no fret buzz and the screws to stay up, not tilt on an angle and come out. Am I doing something wrong here?

Comment

OK deep breath--- repeat OM for about 5 minutes and find your mantra then
                      Go to the MR Gearhead site
                      or

download this file
                      It should help out
                      The vintage style 6 hole trem should not come apart when pulling up
                      the 2 post knife edge ones may come up if its not adjusted correctly

Good Luck
                      Dom L
                      1997 Roadhouse Strat
                      2005 Eric Clapton Strat
                      2007 Martin 000-28EC
                      2007 Parts-o-Caster

Comment

Sorry bro, but I think that you need longer saddle adjustment screws. I think. Post pics and I'll tell you for sure.

Comment

the Gearhead article is a good one to go through step by step

I recently put a Gotoh vintage trem on a strat, and I've been surprised how stable it is with just 3 springs, so I'm sure with a little patience, you can get yours set up perfectly

SRV's tech had a very good article somewhere on setting up Stevie's trem, which was notorious for taking a lot of abuse
                          Rene basically lubed every moving part, and installed little teflon string guides over the saddles

but first, just run through the set up guide a couple times

BTW, the back of my bridge is about 1/8 to 3/16" off the body, with 3 springs, and the trem screws in back show about an inch of thread or so
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to calm down and try this again. I may very well need longer saddle bridge screws. I was never fully satisfied with how the trem worked so I think there may be some adjustments that need to be done.

Comment

Wow... now I'm seeing something really weird. My two bridge screws are around 1/2'', but they're different sizes. I think the bottom broke off of them. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to get them out... I have a feeling this has been my problem all along
                              Last edited by That90'sGuy; 10-03-2004, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X