(Rivera Knucklehead 100) at low volumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Rivera Knucklehead 100) at low volumes

I know Twilight Odyssee owns one, but I don't know which model he owns, but I guess anybody can bud in

My Rivera Knucklehead is bound to arrive in about ten days or so. But this thing is supposed to be extremely loud. Now a few of you guys told me it isn't such a wise idea to pull out two tubes as it might affect the sound.

First of all I don't know if it sounds as good at low volumes compared to higher (I suppose not), so does it sound good at low volumes?

Second: If no should I pull out the two tubes or spend 300 bucks (or more!) on a THD Hotplate or any other attenuator? I'm not exactly swimming in cash, but I am willing to bust my balls for cash if it will improve the tone of my Knucklehead.

Thirth: Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: (Rivera Knucklehead 100) at low volumes

Hey there, my knuckleHead arrived about a month ago, great amp.......
    The KHR 100 does have variable power output via switches onthe back, ie
    vintage/modern switch and pentode-triode modes as well.
    It can actually get down to 12watts!!
    But i think it sounds best on modern settings running at a full 100wattts...
    But yes it is "very" loud. To me its sounds best over 3.5, still loud as hell but anything under that sounds likes its just not geting pushed enough....
    But over 3... thats when it comes alive!
    I wouldnt buy this for your bedroom it will rip ya walls down!!
    I have no need to run a Hotplate or any such thing, so sorry cant give u advice on that.
    Have some major fun when u get it!

Comment

Well, I have the older KH100, and there is no variable power output, just 100 watts the whole time. Channel 1 (the more commonly used distortion channel) is LOUD, and it's loud on 1-2. It does start to sound better as you turn it up, but you wouldn't want to do that at home. For this channel, this amp doesn't do practice volumes. I'd get an attenuator if you want to practice with it, but I don't think you need one with gigging volumes. The channel 2 does great cleans at any level.

Congratulations on your purchase, you won't regret it!
      "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

@Justice4all: I've got one from 1995, probably hasn't got that switch you're talking about, but I'll check. I heard my Mesa is actually as loud as a 100W amp, Mesa's always sound louder than any other amp with the same wattage though. I can crank that one up to 2/3, so I think that's how far the Knucklehead will go. 12 Watts would be awesome, hope it has that switch!

@Twofacepimp: I think that's the one I'm getting. Would you mind testing something for me, I could understand if you didn't want to, but I'd really appreciate it a lot if you did this: Could you try running it on 50W by pulling out either the two inner or the two outer tubes? Just long enough for you to check out the tonal differences. I'm quite curious and I'd really appreciate it
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Is it just me, or do I get the lowest all time response figures on this board

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

If it has the half power/pentode-triode switch, don't get an attenuator.

If it doesn't, get an attenuator.
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neeradj
              Is it just me, or do I get the lowest all time response figures on this board
              Sorry Neeradj, I stepped out after my last post and haven't checked the boards since.

Does anyone know if you can pull two tubes from a knucklehead? I've heard that you can't always do this with a tube amp, and it should only be done if you know it's possible. If anyone can confirm that they did this before without problems, I'll test it out for you.
              "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

im sure the knucklehead is a gigging workhorse in tone, but i dont think its a good idea to use it for practice. get a cheap crate practice amp or something because you'll probably go through many power tubes with an attenuator, eventually the value of a little crate turd bucket like mine!
                I can't play my peavey classic in my house and its a 50 watt 6l6gc 2x12 combo. i cant imagine a knucklehead 100 watt half stack!
                Gotta love em!
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I have a K100; 100W, full-on, in your face, all the time, NO reverb!

I use a Kolbe Soundsmith Attenuator when I have to watch the volume, which is not often. It has the smallest affect on the tone, but not enough to diminish my love for this great amp.

Rivera Knuckleheads are loudness defined!!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hey Twilight, do I have to plug attenuators into a seperate power source or do I just plug it in between the head and cab out of the box?

@Twofacepimp: Wow thanks dude, you rock! I e-mailed Jeff Seal about it so I'll get back to you as soon as he responds ok?

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

There are different kinds of attenuators, Neeradj. The Soundsmith unit is actually in two boxes, and is passive; you don't have to plug it into the wall.

I'm not sure about the Marshall or the THD units, tho. Since you're attenuating the signal, and not adding gain, I would say that they are probably passive as well. Hope that helps!
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hopefully, you have a commercial space or garage where you can turn it up a bit.
                        If not, there are other things you can do. Since Riveras have a good gain circuit, they don't sound terrible at low volumes, especially with the volume-cutting features it has. Another thing to consider is using the FX loop with a rackmount FX unit that has an output volume on it. That way, you can set things on the amp the way you like, then knock the overall volume down by cutting down the signal fed to the power section. It doesn't get the power tubes cooking like a Hotplate, but at least your preamp section can be turned up. Also, if the gain is too gritty at low volumes, you can always boost it back up with an OD pedal in front.

I've never owned this amp, but I'm sure that if it has a half-power switch, it's shutting off the inner or outter two power tubes. So this solves your idea of pulling two tubes.
                        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-05-2004, 05:14 PM.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by TwofacePimp
                          Sorry Neeradj, I stepped out after my last post and haven't checked the boards since.

Does anyone know if you can pull two tubes from a knucklehead? I've heard that you can't always do this with a tube amp, and it should only be done if you know it's possible. If anyone can confirm that they did this before without problems, I'll test it out for you.
                          Thanks twoface, I really appreciate it. I've gotten a very nice e-mail from the Rivera Support team, here's what it says:

Hi Neeradj,

You can pull the two inner tubes for half power operation, however the amp will run hotter and the power tubes will wear out faster, needing replacement sooner. Once you pull the 2 inner tubes, the impedance selector impedances will change as follows:

4 ohm will become 8 ohm
                          8 ohm will become 16 ohm
                          16 ohm will become 32 ohm

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                            If it has the half power/pentode-triode switch, don't get an attenuator.

If it doesn't, get an attenuator.
                            IME, pentode/triode affects tone as much as an attenuator. YMMV.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                            My Music

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                              get a cheap crate practice amp or something because you'll probably go through many power tubes with an attenuator, eventually the value of a little crate turd bucket like mine!
                              Depends on how hard you're pushing the amp. In most master volume amps, you're never pushing the tubes that hard 'cause you're not looking for power tube distortion. The amp is rarely even close to max power output.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                              My Music

Comment

Working...
                              X