banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Strat Lite Ash - 2 thumbs WAAAY UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat Lite Ash - 2 thumbs WAAAY UP!

We got the new Fender Strat and Tele "lite" models in stock at the store today... I tried the Strat first. here;s the facts.

- Ash body, natural finish
    - Birdseye maple neck with satin finish, soft V shape
    - Abalone dot inlay, 22frets with vintage style fretwire
    - American Standard-style bridge (but with non-offset saddles!)
    - The same tuners that come on the American STD Strats, but non-staggered
    - Black pickguard, covers, knobs, etc
    - REAL Seymour Duncan APS1 set (N, RWRP, and B models)

First off the setupand intonation was perfect right out of the box! I plugged it in using one of the new Vox Valvetronix combos and let 'er rip.

This thing sounds INSANELY good! The body is ash and weighs in at about 7.5 punds, and the maple neck give it a lot of weight, brightness and clarity but the Alnico II Duncan singles give it a very smooth, vintage, creamy, warm sound. The bright articulate top of the ash and maple coupled up with the pickups make for one of the most tonefully balanced Strats I've ever heard. It's a very vintage vibe but much, much smoother and warmer than what you'd expect from, say, a '57 reissue. and it's still clear and articulate too! A PERFECT blend. Killer sustain and dynamics, too. Sounded otherworldy for blues-rock and fusion styles. Distortion-overdrive sounds were sweet, fat, and harmonically rich while clean sounds were deep, warm, and sparkly on top.

Like I said the setup and intonation were perfect right out of the box and that coupled with the neck and fretwork had my fingers flying all over the fretboard! The radius was flatter as well, probably an 11 so bends as well as chording were very easy. And the birdseye maple, simple logo (just a gold "Fender" logo, serial number on the back and that's it) and abalone inlay gave it a classy look.

The trem system is almost identical to an American Std trem system except that the saddle screws are not offset like they are on the Americans. It stayed in tune very well under moderate use.

Oh yeah, it's Korean made (but obviously has american parts) and only costs 589.99! About the same as the Highway 1 Strats.

My only grip is that the pickups aren't noiseless and they only come in that natural-black PG scheme. But considering the AWESOME tone and feel that's secondary to me.

This is EASILY one of the best Strats I've ever played. On par with the American Standards (and maybe even a little bit above) IMO.

Go check this thing out!

Re: Fender Strat Lite Ash - 2 thumbs WAAAY UP!

yeah man I know what ya mean I played the Lite Ash Tele and its the best sounding/playing Tele I have played. And its a steal at the price.

Comment

sounds like i need to check those out next time i go to a music store...!?!?
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

damn man, that sounds like a sweet guitar! have to check one out. thanks for the review!
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Cool, I've been waiting for a good review. I was hoping that they played as good as they looked.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

hey we koreans can do certain things right!
            "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

How is the Fender Ash Telecaster. I'm debating whether I should order a custom guitar or buy the lite and try painting/dyeing it myself (I am going to build that transparent orange tele at some point). I'm mostly concerned about the size of the neck and the quality of the woods.

Good review of the Strat, I'm itching to try this new series
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks for the review. Sounds right down my alley.

What kind of neck profile? is it the 'modern c' like the Am Stds, or something chunkier?
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

bump
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks, Now i have G.A.S.

i haven't G.A.S in a long time.. and all my money is gone :fing25:

Comment

I've been wanting to build this guitar for the last year. Now fender makes it for $589? I was prepared to spend nearly a grand to get this combination and now it can be had for almost half that much. I knew that the pop of ash and maple along with the smoothness of the Alnico 2 SD pups would be a real winner and it looks like I was right.

BTW - All my money isn't gone, but I still need to buy a truck and get my CR-500's transmission fixed.
                      Last edited by Gr8Scott; 03-31-2004, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen one in Aus yet, but by the pics on the fender site + your description, they sound great. And I love natural timbre guitars.

For comparison, are they priced below a made in mexico Fender, but above a squier?
                        Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                          How is the Fender Ash Telecaster. I'm debating whether I should order a custom guitar or buy the lite and try painting/dyeing it myself (I am going to build that transparent orange tele at some point). I'm mostly concerned about the size of the neck and the quality of the woods.

Good review of the Strat, I'm itching to try this new series
                          I actually sold the Tele to one of my friends and it was still very Tele-sounding but the tonal differences were consistent... smoother and warmer tone but still retaining clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                            Thanks for the review. Sounds right down my alley.

What kind of neck profile? is it the 'modern c' like the Am Stds, or something chunkier?
                            The neck profile is like the V shape on the Jimmie Vaughn Strat, but a bit softer of a shape. Very comfortable, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanM
                              I haven't seen one in Aus yet, but by the pics on the fender site + your description, they sound great. And I love natural timbre guitars.

For comparison, are they priced below a made in mexico Fender, but above a squier?
                              The price is right in between a Mexican-made Fender and an American Std. $600 for this kind of instrument is GREAT, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X