Most worthwhile amp upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most worthwhile amp upgrades

theres tubes, speakers, transformers, blah blah blah. i'm looking to up the ante on my peavey classic and make it sound more fender 'twinish'. Shooting for the svetalana =c='s, and some jensen alnico speakers. What transformer do fender twins use? price cap-hmm 400 bucks for now.

Whats the best thing one can do to an amp that costs up to 400 bucks?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Most worthwhile amp upgrades

sell the peavy and buy a twin. That's my suggestion for an upgrade
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

im not familiar with which twins are the golden year twins. I figure anything blackface would be good? Can i trust Ebay?
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
        Exactly. Don't turn your amp into a money pit.

Comment

not a bad plan, whats a good price for a twin these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
            Ditto.

Cheaper in the long run too.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I don't know which Classic model you have (30 or 50) but here's what I did with my C30: First, you have to get the speaker out of the Peavey and build a seperate cabinet for it. I built a cabinet that's app. the same size as the C30's cab and installed a Weber 30 watt ceramic Blue Dog. The combination of the seperate cabinet and the Weber gave the amp more umph and really smoothed things out. You're never going to get true Fender cleans out of a C30 but what really helps to clear the clean channel up a lot is to use a lesser grade pre amp tube in V1. I've tried a bunch and (for me) what seems to work best and what seemed to give the most clarity is a Sovtek 5751. A 12AX7/ECC83 just breaks up to fast in V1.

Comment

lol i figure im really in the stoneage of amp design then, i have a classic '75, no preamp tubes, just 2 6L6's and the worst sounding scorpion speakers ever. Looks like im gonna sell this soon.

Comment

Mod your amp to Blueguitar specs, you won't want to sell it once you do.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                    www.blueguitar.org

Mod your amp to Blueguitar specs, you won't want to sell it once you do.

Ryan
                    I've been inside a Peavey, and they seem like a ***** to mod...I don't know how much better they were built in 75, though. Can you post some chassis pics?

Comment

Working...
                    X