banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

very stupid question regarding using overdrive pedals as a boost..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very stupid question regarding using overdrive pedals as a boost..

ok, i got this MXR overdrive pedal and i'd like to use it for aboost when i do solo's.
    should i put it in front of the amp or use it in the FX loop?

Re: very stupid question regarding using overdrive pedals as a boost..

Use it in front.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Use it in front.

Which MXR?
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

distortion +

i tried it and nothing changed much

even with the volume all up

Comment

MXR Distirtion +'s are know the world over for not having enough volume...it's all but impossible to use one as a boost! Inface this is the very same reason so many people used a Micro amp!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

****!!!!!!!!

Comment

if you've got an EQ pedal it works quite well for that!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Here's a simple rule of thumb. If it's a distortion-type effect, it goes before the amp. If it's a time-based effect (delay, chorus, flanger, reverb, etc.), run it through the effects loop.
                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

dont put a od, dist, or fuzz in the fx loop... it messes up your amp... i learned that the hard way.

Comment

All the time based effects can be used before the amp and still work great, they just need to be placed after distortion/OD type stuff to get the best tone. FX Loops aren't as necessary as everybody makes them out to be, but they are very useful (I used to run my noise suppressor through them).
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

As for loops, it depends on where ever they are seriel or parallel.
                      Seriel is best with pedals.
                      Parallel requires effects that have a mix function so that they can go full wet.

Comment

you can use all types of FX upfront.

putting a fuzz, OD, Dist, boost, etc in the loop will NOT hurt your amp

Comment

i dont have much pedals, so i dont need to worry about using different pedals now.

in this case, whats a good pedal i can use too boost for leads?
                          i hear an ibanez tubescreamer is good?

Comment

tubescreamer, ds-1, maybe a zakk wylde pedal

anything with light distortion really, os-2's work as great boosts for jcm800's, haha every sublime fan knows what i mean
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Depends on what you find to be a good sound?
                              Clean boosters are nioce if you just want your amps own sound.
                              Boss od's are nice boosters if you want a slight coloured sound, plus the have assymetrical clipping stage, less compression in those.

Comment

Working...
                              X