banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

very stupid question regarding using overdrive pedals as a boost..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: very stupid question regarding using overdrive pedals as a boost..

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
    ok, i got this MXR overdrive pedal and i'd like to use it for aboost when i do solo's.
    should i put it in front of the amp or use it in the FX loop?
    moom, you have to remember: the more GAIN you use with the MXR, the less actual BOOST you will get.
    When I use my Fulltone as a solo boost, I keep the gain LOW, but the volume HIGH. This still only translates as a 6-7 dB boost, but it adds thickness, and just enough volume to be heard a bit more.
    Another thing you should do is turn the gain DOWN on your amp 2 notches; that will make the boost much more noticeable.
    If you want a TRUE boost, then get a clean boost pedal like a Fulltone Fat Boost or a Duncan Pup Booster. I use the Fat Boost when I just want VOLUME, not an additional gain stage ...
    Hope this helps!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
      you can use all types of FX upfront.

putting a fuzz, OD, Dist, boost, etc in the loop will NOT hurt your amp
      It won't hurt your amp,but you want your overdrive/fuzz/and distortion pedals in with your preamp...Early into the preamp is better...The effects loop is a place in between the preamp and output section of your amp...You want your delays,chorus,reverb,phasers,flangers etc..placed in there(Between the preamp and the output section)...Time based effects placed in front of or directly in your amp's preamp causes muddy and washed out tones..Everything and anything that starts at your preamp will then travel all the way throughout the amp and to the output...Once you really understand what the effects loop is doing, and what effect your pedals have in certain placement or connection to your amp,you begin to really get a handle on your effects...Effects should enhance an amp and not cloud,muddy,or color your tone too much..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i dont have much pedals, so i dont need to worry about using different pedals now.

in this case, whats a good pedal i can use too boost for leads?
        i hear an ibanez tubescreamer is good?
        I like the Ibanez TS-9 because it adds some nice compression to the solo. It also adds some mids to help punch through. The down side is an un-modded one dumps some bass, which may or may not be a good thing to you.

I like the Boss SD-1 as it's a little less compressed than the TS-9, which I find good for rhythm/solo work. It's also cheap and easy to find used. I prefer the TS-9 as I like the compression.

I like the MXR Wylde OD as it's very open sounding (very little compession). I use it mostly as a rhythm boost, or as the second boost in a dual overdrive setup (with my TS-9). Despite it's higer gain, it still lets your amps tone dominate.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

ok, i got this MXR overdrive pedal and i'd like to use it for aboost when i do solo's.
          should i put it in front of the amp or use it in the FX loop?

Say you have two overdrive pedals. When you have one of the overdrive pedals on with a good amount of gain to it, then the signal is saturated inside that pedal and is clipping, that's where the distortion comes from. Once it's saturated, anything you do to boost the signal before that pedal will result in more distortion but not more volume. So if you want to boost the volume, you have to deal with the signal after it's gone through that pedal.

If you have a pedal and a gain channel, does your amp have a pedal which allows you to switch between the two channels? If so then you might try using the MXR as your normal gain, then switch to the gain channel for solos? The MXR distortion plus can be a real dog though. I like it for punk and classic rock, but I have to use a 10 band EQ to remove all the noise and dirt it brings in. It also sucks the bass and lower mids out of your tone. But if your amp is dialled to counter how it colours your sound, it can work.

Comment

Are you wanting to add OD to a sound you already like = BOOST, or are you just wanting to add volume to your sound for soloing?

If you are using an OD with just the level turned up, and with the drive and tone turned all the way down, then you are adding an almost clean boost of OD to whatever pedal or preamp you have in front of it. So first you need to find a gain pedal or preamp gain you like. Then use an OD in that type of setup. I said almost clean boost, because most pedals seem to add a slight coloration to the sound. Even an eq pedal. You just have to work with it, unless the pedal has some kind of loop built into it. That would be the only way around the coloration. Can you use two OD pedals? Yep! Just keep in mind that in doing that, your preamp is probably running on clean channel, the first OD is adding your gain/distortion, and the second OD is boosting the first pedal. You can even put an chorus pedal in front and boost it with an OD. You get kind of a screaching heavy metal type of chorus. As far as using an OD as a boost with gain turned up, unless you are on a clean channel with no gain in front. It will work ok. If you try mixing gains you just end up with nothing but trouble, and sounding like crap most of the time. My opinion. People do it though. Just depends what you like.

If you are wanting to just add volume to your sound for soloing, I wouldn't suggest using an OD. I have heard using and EQ set flat with the level turned up works good. I have also heard a Fat Boost works too. I personaly use an identical RM4 module with different solo settings I like, and just turn up the volume knob on the module.

Hope this helps a little. Just remember using an OD in boost setup adds a slight volume increase (not realy enough for soloing in my opinion), a little coloration, and adds overdrive/sustain.
            Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
            VHT 2502
            (2) Randal XLT 4X12
            (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
            Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
            Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
            http://www.robertkeeley.com
            Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
            Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Working...
            X