Foo Fighters tones questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foo Fighters tones questions

There are 2 sounds of the first Foo album that I can't find. The bright rattley sound at the start of watershed, and that crazy fuzzy/buzzy tone in exausted...I know for a fact that Dave only had 2 guitars (A LP, and An SG), 2 amps(A JCM 900 50 watt with 4x12, and a Marshall MS-2 micro stack), and 2 pedals (a Rat and a Turbo Rat) when he made this record...Anybody have a clue how he did this...

If not, please don't bash me for digging the Foo...

Thanks
    The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Foo Fighters tones questions

i don't know what he did to get that tone, but all i know is that if someone is bashing the foo, they'll have to talk to me
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

I thought Dave used a Vox AC30 and a Rat on that album. I've never heard of him using a Marshall anything...

For the fuzz sound, have you tried using your neck pickup while you tweek the Rat?

Could the sound be something Chris is playing?

(I don't have the album here to listen to right now, so I'm doing some guess work from memory)
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The songs Im talking about are on the firts recodr...that whole record is Dave...guitar, bass, drums, vocals...all of it except 1 guitar part...chris didn't join till the tour for nothing left to lose. Dave didn't get a vox until the tour for The Colour and the Shape...AC-30 tones showed up on Nothing left to lose. It's well known that the equipment mentioned in my first post is all Dave had when he made that record...in fact he had to borrow a bass to do the bass parts. Thew first time I saw the Foo Fighters Dave had the LP and the SG I mentioned earlier as well as a black Explorer, and he indeed used a Marshall JCM 900 head and a Pro Co Rat, Pat used a white SG and a White Falcon, and even played through the "rack" rig that he used on the InUtero tour with Nirvana.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

did you try guitargeeks?
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

guitargeek is so outdated.. some rigs are years old, and they're not always right. PLUS they don't have some artists listed.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
              did you try guitargeeks?
              I did, that's where I pulled the info about the AC30 off of. No one knew much about his original rig.

Comment

I thought Grohl used "Godin Guitars"?
                Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                Roland Cube 60
                Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                Mogami Cables
                Mooer Candy Toppers
                Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I know now that his main setup consists of his Kent Armstrong guitars (says he loves the pickup for rock) and his main explorer through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, that could have changed though.

I love his tone on Colour and the Shape, although I am surprised it was a Vox.

Dave rules! I think the Probot project he did was very cool too.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

His "original rig" is the one I mentioned above. As for "The Colour and the Shape" Clean sounds were a Vox AC-30, a Twin Reverb, a Kustom, and a Mesa Heart Breaker, crunch tones were a Dual Recto, The before mentiones JCM 900, and quite a bit of RAT. The AC-30's played a much larger role on "There is Nothinh Left to Lose" As for Guitars, Dave was a Gibson man for a long time...Several Les Pauls (mostly Customs), Lots of SG's(also mostly Customs), a few Explorers, A Trini Lopez, an RD Artiste, and sometimes a 335. One nothing left to lose came a Telecaster, and a Duo Jet W/ bigsby. For ONE by ONE, he used a Dan Armstrong plexi guitar(with a Kent Armstrong pup) that was a gift form Rick Nielson, for the tour Dave bought several more, and the last time I saw them he had 4 or 5 of them with different tunings, and used them almost the entire show.
                    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 10-10-2004, 06:43 AM.

Comment

He uses a Mesa Road King now. Last I heard he stopped using the AC30 durring this last tour.

Comment

He never toured with the AC-30...since the release of TCATS, he has toured with Mesa gear almost 100% of the time.

Comment

the messed up dying guitar sound in exhausted could well be dave running the guitar into a fuzz pedal then straight into the desk. that would give a cool lo-fi buzzy sound. but dial out loads of mid and bass on the amp and you should get close.
                          "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Kyuss_Rock, THANK YOU, That is what I thought , and just wanted someone to back me up, w/o knowing what I was thinking!!! Plugging direct in to the recordin desk has been done a few times over time with similar results...I just wanted some feedback...

Comment

yeah thats probably what it is i reckon.
                              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X