need a new amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a new amp...

you guys give me some ideas on a new amp...crunch is the special word...less that Pantera more that Stevie Ray...If you get what I mean...
    -Not to fancy (one channel is fine)
    -NOT solid state or Digital!!!
    -NOT a Peavy
    -used and old is fine
    -I'd like to stay under $1000.00, I know that limits my choices, but lots of the real high end stuff(Bogner, VHT, Etc I'm really not intrusted in)
    -A head is prefered
    -rev/trem/and other junk is not needed
    -looking for maximum tone, I use buckers and Tele's

Thanks
    The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: need a new amp...

Get a Marshall and a 4x12 cab (or 2). In my opinion the best crunch comes from overdriven speakers. The more speakers, the more crunch.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

you might try a 59 bassman head, new or used, i don't know what they run but it sounds like it could do most of those things, and get some really nice crunch/overdrive with the right pedal.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

A head for under $1k? And you want it sound GOOD?
        Can't help you.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I think you can get a 1987x for under a grand. That fits most of your requirments. Single channel, nice cleans and good crunch...not over the top crunch, just good old fashioned power tube cooking crunch.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

a BF bassman head rocks... they can be found for cheap. They're a bit meaner than most fenders... it'd be a possibility you might wanna check out.
            '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
            Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
            '66 Fender Bassman
            Fender Champion 600
            Fender Stage 100

Comment

early SF Bassman
              (then have it modded to BF)
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I'll throw a Dr. Z MAZ 38 Senior into the mix. New, they are a bit over your $1000 limit, but if you keep your eyes peeled on the gear websites you might find a NR head for a grand. Single-channel, PTP wiring, basic controls, no BS. Huge trannies, the amps are built like tanks. Sound-wise, if a BF Fender married a Vox AC30 and they had a kid, it would sound like the MAZ 38. Nice BF cleans, nice chime all wrapped up into one package. This amp has a moderate degree of clean headroom (earlier models have a tad more), but when you dial in some dirt you get that greasy EL84 overdrive that some really like. Plenty of crunch if you want it. I love mine, it's my favorite amp to play thru. Equally impressive with single-coils or humbuckers. Takes pedals very well (I'm not big on pedals, but I've read the amps like them). My Gibsons and Teles sound great with this amp. One of the best amps I've ever had the pleasure of plugging into. The MAZ 18 Junior is very similar, with 18w instead of 38w. Both class A amps...the 18w is loud enough for small to medium sized rooms.

Check out the Buddy Whittington clips. He's playing a strat, but you'll get the drift. Good luck in your search
                Last edited by Tweed; 10-10-2004, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Tweed bassman and 1987 where the 2 amps had in mind, hadn't thought one time about a BF/SF bassman! Or about a DR. Z, what else can you guys tell me about a DR. Z?

Jeff_H and mrfjones...thatks guys, these are that amps I had in mind, and you guys backed me up!

TwilightOdyssey, I've got news for ya...there are a ton of killer amps that are under a grand and sound GREAT!
                  Thanks
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

If you were considering a tweed bassman, it might be worth noting that the tweed bassmans and the BF/SF were completely different amps... i love both, but don't go into it expecting anything similar.
                    '66 Fender Bassman
                    Fender Champion 600
                    Fender Stage 100

Comment

No problem, i am glad i can help out, but i don't know anything about Dr Z amps as i have never played out of one myself.

well i said a tweed bassman because i know they can get a little nasty, it was the amp design that jim marshall took and modified to make the first marshall amps. I am a bigger fan of the tweed amps simply because they crunched a bit more than the bf/sf models but that is just a small reason. It seems in leos designs that everything got cleaner over time, both amps and guitars. Lew and i were talking about this one day. hopefully he will see this thread and post today. He knows more about this than i do since he owns a 59 bassman (i think)
                      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Yeah he does, and yes, the tweeds are more crunchy, and usually more desireable... but they cost alot more. I really like both amps, but they are pretty different, so if you're considering either, the guy who invented, i'd suggest trying both.
                        '66 Fender Bassman
                        Fender Champion 600
                        Fender Stage 100

Comment

How about a Hot Rod Deluxe head?
                          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Less than pantera and more like SRV. SRV will be either a Fender or a Dumble in which case I can recommend FUCHS or Bruno. Since you are in a budget an old Bassman head seems to work for your needs. I also can suggest Voodoo amps, they are a boutique amp company but their prices are very reasonable. There is a new model called the Baka, Trace compares the clean of this amp as a Voxish type of cleans, the overdrive of the amp is supposed to be very smooth (is an unique design).....Not high gain. I know he can make this amp out of a Bogen amp (if cosmetics are not a factor) that way you can save some $$$$.

Check their web site: or call Trace…
                            Voodooamps.com
                            Gear:
                            Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
                            1988 Strat (copy)
                            Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
                            Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
                            Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

Marshall would be your best bet then,