I just busted a nut-what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just busted a nut-what to do?

I was restringing my MIM tele. I was going up from 9's to 10's. My low E string wasn't seating all the way down in the nut so I pushed down in there a little bit until it was all the way into the cut out. I was getting fret buzz like crazy so I looked at the nut and at the bottom of the cut out for the string it was cracked in half and the string was siting way lower than it should have been. I can wiggle the little peice from the e string to the top of the neck. I guess the nut just wasn't cut to have 10's on it. Does that mean I'm gonna have to get a new nut or could I like glue it back together? But even if I glue it back to where it was the string still won't go into the nut. If I have to replace it is there a better one to get so it dosen't do this again? Could I do it myself or would I be best taking it to someone? Hope you can understand what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by matt99camero; 10-10-2004, 11:21 PM.

Re: I just busted a nut-what to do?

Normally if you just busted a nut... you need a hanky
    I'm a little confused as to exactly what you did? But I'd say your best bet
    is to take it to a Luthier and have a new nut installed to the size strings
    you intend to use.
    Last edited by kmcguitars; 10-10-2004, 11:57 PM.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Best option: get a new nut. You can get one pre-cut, but you will most likely still have to make adjustments for the nut's action at the first fret (the depth of the slots). It may cost up to $50 for a new nut (that may or may not include setup and strings), so if that is a viable option for you, go with a good material like bone or Tusq. I believe the Tusq brand offers pre-slotted nuts, but you still have to deal with the slot depth issue.

You could superglue the piece back on-- BE CAREFUL with that stuff!-- and then widen the low E slot with a needle file. But it may just suck dirt, so just avoid that.

My advice: new nut.

Comment

Wierd, ive neevr encountered that problem, i own a MIM strat and i have a .52 e String! And it seems to fit fine.
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Get a towel and clean it up, son! Thats what i have to do when i look at that avatar of yours

Seriously I'd recommend getting a new nut cut for 10's. It'll probably be better anyway plus its not very expensive to do.

Comment

smoke a cigarett and pay the women.

Comment

you can use some krazy glue on there, but the best bet is to get a new nut that is cut for the string gauge you intend to use. each slot should be cut to accomodate your string gauges. whether you take it to a shop depends on how comfortable you are doing a repair that can have deleterious effects on your guitar, promarily intonation. if you don't get the nut back in there just right, your guitar won't be in tune eith itself. it's not hard to do right, but you can miff it up, too.
              stuff i use:
              '98 prs custom 22
              original 2channel mesa/boogie single rectifier solo head
              marshall 1960 cab
              a bunch of other crap not worth mentioning in light of these

Originally posted by seafoamer
              Hell Yeah!

Telemundo = poontang in su casa!

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4
                smoke a cigarett and pay the women.
                ...and hope your credit card clears
                ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Tell her the money is on the table...if you were too rough, get a shovel...everything's gonna be allll right.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                    Tell her the money is on the table...if you were too rough, get a shovel...everything's gonna be allll right.
                    LOL!!! :fing25:

Comment

Working...
                    X