Tremelo-melo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremelo-melo

I made a post about a month ago asking about the drawbacks/benefits of installing a Floyd Rose on a Fender MIM Stratocaster. There were resounding "don't do it" kind of comments and most of you suggested that I just buy a new guitar with a Floyd Rose on it.
    The problem is though, that I really haven't *gasp* been in the mood to buy a new guitar. I'm (knock on wood) fairly happy with the guitars I have and couldn't see bringing a new axe into my house.

Now, I know full well there are obvious and gigantic differences between a standard tremelo system and a Floyd Rose, but is it possible to use a regular trem like a Floyd?
    That's kind of an odd way to phrase the question, but I'm wondering if I could just use a regular tremelo and get the same sounds (pitch changes, etc.,) that I would out of a Floyd Rose?

Re: Tremelo-melo

well i guess for starters yu would need a locking nut..
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

whatever people say there is no tremolo that holds tuning like a floyd rose under heavy tremolo use.....if thats what you want then a FR is a must......but consider also there are some drawbacks....it does affect tone..and if you break a string during a live performance you need a backup guitar.Also many people say it's a pain restringing a floyd e.t.c but if you know how to set it up correctly it is like any other tremolo out there.At least i have never encountered a problem with mine.

Comment

If you want to retain most of the guitars normal voice, don't float the Floyd, and get an OFR or a Gotoh Floyd.
        The steel of those two bridges are very highquality.
        All this is if you really want to use it alot.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
          but consider also there are some drawbacks....it does affect tone..and if you break a string during a live performance you need a backup guitar.Also many people say it's a pain restringing a floyd e.t.c but if you know how to set it up correctly it is like any other tremolo out there.At least i have never encountered a problem with mine.
          Those are actually many (if not most of) my own concerns and points that were brought up in my other thread.

The reason I'm asking this Tremelo related question is mainly because I'm really getting into Tom Morello's style of guitar playing. Tom uses a cheap Ibanez copy of a Floyd Rose in his 'Arm the Homeless' guitar, and I believe it's floating.
          I like what he does in songs like "Sleep Now In The Fire", "Bullet In The Head", and "Calm Like Bomb". However, I do not want to compromise my setup just to pursue Tom's style...you know, that whole thing where I want to develop my own style and what not...and I like the effects I have already...but anyway, he doesn't do any huge divebombs or anything, but it's quite extensively in the songs I've named (plus many others) and tuning stability is a big concern of mine.

Thanks for your help thus far, let me know if there's anything else I need to be aware of.
          Last edited by Closed Eye; 03-30-2004, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X