banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS-9 or DS-1 for fatter tube distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-9 or DS-1 for fatter tube distortion?

I'm thinking about getting either of these pedals to get a fatter distortion than I can get out of the XTC now. Most of you will probably think I'm crazy but I'm still not getting the sound that's in my head.
    I like to achieve some real dense, dark and thick distortion with a huge bottom end.

Could anyone give me some suggestions?
    Anyone else who is doing this?

Re: TS-9 or DS-1 for fatter tube distortion?

Grab the overdrive. Lace it over your Dirty channel and set the tones according to the dials on your amplifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
      Grab the overdrive. Lace it over your Dirty channel and set the tones according to the dials on your amplifier.
      Thanks, is it really that easy?

Comment

If your cab sealed? That I have found contributes ALOT to low end.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
          Thanks, is it really that easy?
          Yeah, the SD-1 reacts really well over the overdrive channel of an amp...

*edit* Sorry, I didn't read correctly, I thought you meant SD-1 and not DS-1... Still, I think you should get a SD-1 instead... as I said, works really well over an amp's overdrive channel...

Comment

yeah id go with a modded sd-1 with a bit of extra bottom end than the stock one. my sd-1 works wonders an an od channel.
            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks guys, I mistyped, I meant the sd-1 of course as I believe that only an overdrive pedal will give me the desired effect.

I have no idea what the main differences are between the 2 pedals (ts-9, sd-1).
              Does anyone has experience with either one of them or both? Pro's, con's?
              I have a closed back 2x12 with Celestion 70/80ies. I'm saving up for an Ubershall cab but I doubt it would make any difference for the distortion/overdrive...or does it?

Comment

John Spina (StratDeluxer) knows and mods both. PM him for direct comparisons before and after mods. I'm sure he'll be glad to help.

Comment

have you tried the boss BD-2 i find this pedal to be insanley fat it adds a ton of rich thick tone.
                  Guitars
                  MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
                  MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
                  Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
                  Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
                  MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
                  70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
                  Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
                  Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

Yeah, I'll get a modded one from John of course, I see so many good reviews about his work. I'll shoot him a pm.

Comment

yeah grab one of john's modded sd-1s, you'll be happy.
                      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

TS-9 works magic on almost any amp. It 'represents' the quintessential 6L6 smooth gain tones present in cranked fender bassmans and early marshalls that were modeled after the bassman tone (except wit el34's).

And since it's overdrive it won't create excess tone color that you wouldnt want to have interfering with your XTC tone, just enough to thicken up the mix.

I'm a TS9 guy since two weeks ago when i got it. I'm gonna be sending it to john soon for mods, but i use it so often now at gigs and band practices i dont know if i have the patience to wait right now, especially since the tone is great as is.

I know for certain John's mods blow the stock pedals out of the water as ive heard them in samples. The SD-1 would also work great, but i find the TS9 to be a more natural, 'premium' sounding tone.
                        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                          TS-9 works magic on almost any amp. It 'represents' the quintessential 6L6 smooth gain tones present in cranked fender bassmans and early marshalls that were modeled after the bassman tone (except wit el34's).

And since it's overdrive it won't create excess tone color that you wouldnt want to have interfering with your XTC tone, just enough to thicken up the mix.

I'm a TS9 guy since two weeks ago when i got it. I'm gonna be sending it to john soon for mods, but i use it so often now at gigs and band practices i dont know if i have the patience to wait right now, especially since the tone is great as is.

I know for certain John's mods blow the stock pedals out of the water as ive heard them in samples. The SD-1 would also work great, but i find the TS9 to be a more natural, 'premium' sounding tone.
                          Thanks, I've read this before on the net somewhere about the 6L6 kinda tone.
                          Also, I think I've read something about leaving the pedal on all the time. I'm not to fond of tapdancing when I go from distortion to clean.
                          I'm leaning towards the tube screamer but I'll pm John right now to see what he has to say about it. (I forgot to )

Comment

Working...
                          X