Tell me about Traynor's YCV 40.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Traynor's YCV 40.

In my search for another amp I happened to remember reading about these amp's. Seem's like most of the review's I read point in a pretty favorable direction. If anyone own's a YCV 40 could you give me your impressions? How does the amp hold up? Did you change the tubes and speaker? How does the clean and OD channel's sound with either humbucker's or with a Tele? How could you best describe the tone of each channel? Anything you can tell me be it good, bad or ugly. Thank's.

Re: Tell me about Traynor's YCV 40.

man, am i the right guy to give you this review. i played a YCV40 for a long time with a tele custom...so i've pretty much covered all the bases you want to know about (minus changing the tubes/speakers....this was before i knew that would help too much).
    even with stock tubes/speakers i loved that amp. it reminded me alot of a Fender HRD on steroids. the clean wasn't QUITE as good as an HRD, but sounded pretty similar. with my tele's oversized "fenderbucker", it sounded good, but lacked a bit in the clarity. without it being too bright, it would sound a bit muddy. in hindsight though, this was probably due to the speaker.
    the overdrive channel more than made up for what the clean (just barely) lacked. it had a very classic, ballsy crunch to it, but nothing too much. definately not a good distortion for metal or nu-metal, etc, but a very good classic rock tone. possibly the best tones i've ever heard out of a combo not in the boutique price range, IMO. and as i said earlier, this was completely stock. i'm thinking when i get the funds to get a new (probably not any time soon) i'll pick up another one of these and get a nice speaker or nice extension cab for it and put some nice tubes in it. i can't even imagine how awesome that would be. all in all, i'd say it was one of my favorite amps and at such a low price, you really can't go wrong with it.

PS - as far as how it held up, the thing was built very very well. i don't know if you know this, but the front grille is not just cloth. its a cloth-covered metal grille. very cool to know your speaker's safe even if your retarded drummer does happen to ram a cymbal stand right into the front of the amp. i gigged with one regularly and never had any problems from bumping it around.

Comment

haha. just noticed your age. i suppose you can scratch the comment i made about not being able to play metal/numetal because i doubt that applies to you (no offense.) and if that does apply to you at that age, then rock on man, cuz that's freaking sweet.

Comment

I have played the YCV20, YCV40, and YCV80 amps. In my opinion....Traynors are coming back in all the right ways. I absolutely loved the amps when I tried them out. They really have an awesome vintage tone, and a really beautifull clean channel(although I admit not as nice as the Fenders). Not to mention a really sweet lead gain if you have the patience to dial it in. Im strongly considering getting the YCV80 2x12 combo this year. From what I have seen and heard of them they are a real hot buy. The 20 watt I played was able to hit volumes I would never have thought a 20 watt combo could do. I bet it could keep up with a band, and easily be good enough mic'd for shows. The part that brought the biggest smile to my face: The bloody price....I couldnt believe the price tag on the amps when I checked them out. Who would have thought you could walk out of the store with a brand spankin new 80 watt 2x12 tube combo for less than a grand Canadian? Certainly not me....
        Last edited by Panzer; 10-11-2004, 10:37 PM.
        Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Thank's for the info. Yeah, I may be getting up there in my year's but I'll tell you what, I am having so much fun learning how to play. I did'nt start playing until I was 43 and progress is slow due to the hours I work. But lately thing's seem to be coming together. Now I'm just looking for an amp where both my Tele and Les Paul will sound good thru.

Comment

Mind you, there are two extentions to that model... there's a YCV40T and a YCV40 something or other.

How do they compare to the normal YCV40?
            Originally posted by Kanye West
            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I know the YCV40WR or whatever really rocks hard, comes with a stock Celestion Vintage 30, and red wine Tolex with a beige grill. Such a beautifull peice of work. I drool everytime I see one. I really am considering getting one myself if I dont end up with the YCV80

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Do you know what the diff between the WR and the T is???

Bee
                Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
                  Do you know what the diff between the WR and the T is???

Bee
                  Im pretty sure the YCV40T is the 2x10 Model with the standard black and silver finish. The YCV40WR is a Red wine tolex with beige grille, and a stock Celestion Vintage 30

Comment

Oh wicked - the Celestion, is that like, a better speaker?

Bee

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
                      Oh wicked - the Celestion, is that like, a better speaker?

Bee
                      yes

Comment

The thing that caught my attention about this amp (from the reviews I read) is that both channels seem to be very usefull. What I'm hoping to find is an amp that will give me a clean, clear full sound with my Tele (w/Fralin Blue's Specials) into the clean channel, while my Les Paul (swamp ash w/stock pickups) would go into the OD channel for those good rock tones. Seem's like a lot of amps excell in one area but fall way short in the other. It would be nice to find an amp that does'nt cost a fortune that can handle both clean and OD well.

Comment

I'd like to try out a Traynor. I've heard good things about them. I think they come with the footswitch, too. Unfortunatley they don't have any dealers in the Los Angeles area. I'm thinking of getting one on: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...Amp&rsrc=00633

If it doesn't work out, I'll just pay the shipping back.
                          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
                          X