Funky Ibanaz Jetking's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky Ibanaz Jetking's

What do you guys think about those new Ibanez Jetkings? Specifically the new Jetking 2 with the mahogany body and bigger neck. I've played one of the originals, and it was actually quite cool; even with the stock pups it didn't sound too bad. I haven't played the new one yet. It could be cool if you dropped a set of 59's or pearly gates in it. Anybody have one, played one, comments, suggestions, etc., etc., etc.

Re: Funky Ibanaz Jetking's

I saw one in a lowend guitar shop that's owned by my old school music teacher. The Ibanez Jetking looked pretty cool so I figured I'd pick it up and see if it was decent; it honestly felt like a toy. There are some guitars that just "feel" cheap. Hard to explain, but you just know when something has been thrown together, it always shows.

It suffers from the same electronic flaws guitars like the Jaguar had: all those crazy phase switches. I never understood them all and it was a lot of work to get things going right on the fly (which is important live). 5 ways and 3 way switches are it for me, anything else gets too confusing

To be fair, I'm not sure if it was the original or the 2nd model Jet King that I had played, so perhaps the new one is better.

A lot of people hate the Jet King for it's "garage" look, but I always liked the retro thang myself. A prestige model Jet King would be killer IMHO.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I just talked with a guy that has a jetking2 with p-90s in it and seems to really like it. Another guitar friend of mine that already has one of the lower artist guitars is going to order one as well. The switches make it difficult? perhaps you just need to know what its doing. they are simply coil tapping (guess they didn't wnat to use push pull pots) The retro look does seem kinda cool.

Comment

I like the retro look, but hate the finish. Next time I'm out I'll give it a play though.

I'd rather a Jaguar or Jagstang personally, but they're a bit more pricy.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          It suffers from the same electronic flaws guitars like the Jaguar had: all those crazy phase switches. I never understood them all and it was a lot of work to get things going right on the fly (which is important live). 5 ways and 3 way switches are it for me, anything else gets too confusing
          FLAWS?!?!?! the word is OPTIONS!!! and there's only one phase switch. Jag switching explained- on/off switches for each of the pickups and a phase switch on the bottom bout. On the top bout is a switch that controls a seperate, buttery rhythm circuit, and tone and volume controls for it, so live on stage you don't have to mess with your tone and volume controls when you switch to rhythm mode. Or if you don't like any of those features, use only the pickup switches and its as simple as a normal guitar.

Sorry! But I guess I am a switch freak. Had to go up to bat for the jag...

dan
          Last edited by danglybanger; 10-18-2004, 12:21 AM.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

I still like the Jetking I a lot. Even though, I think it could be built better. Here's an old thread started by me on the subject:

Jetking GAS

The Jetking II has a nice "retro" thing going, but its just a bit over the top for me, styleing-wise. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the lines of the pickguard matched the contour of the body better. I notice this trend in quite a few guitars lately. Don't know why they do it. The Fender Toronado is another example of a pickguard-gone-bad.

Overall though, I like the Jet's. Who knows, I may still get one.
            btw - as someone else elluded to, the switches on the JK's are just simple coil splitting switches, not phase. (At least, on the JK I)

Artie
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-18-2004, 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Love 'em.

The JetKing and the JetKing 2 are beautiful sounding/looking guitars. Really...that's all I have to say...

Comment

Working...
              X