banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are MIJ strats from ten years ago made with good woods and bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are MIJ strats from ten years ago made with good woods and bits?

?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Are MIJ strats from ten years ago made with good woods and bits?

oh yeah! I have a MIJ Squier strat that is about the most resonant plank Ive ever played. I got it used for $139 and it out plays and sounds nearly any strat Ive ever played. The stock pups were squier poo, but the keys and everything else is top shelf. Ive heard (take for what its worth) that they quit making them in Japan cuz they were better and cheaper than US Fenders and FEnder US got concerned. Now, you are asking about Fender, Im sure its the same deal. Good stuff, good price!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

At one point in the late 80's, early 90's, the MIJ Fender products were on par with the quality that Fender USA was putting out. That was at a time when Fender was struggling to make it with US production. MIJ Strats and Tele's have a very loyal following, and if you can pick one up for a good price, all reports indicate that you should get a very good instrument.

I would say that Fender USA today is making a better product as a comparison, but the MIJ will serve you well. I am reticent to support Fender because of it's recent actions in the replacement part industry, but they are building a better strat today then they were 10-15 years ago.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Yes, they are good guitars, but I believe many of them were made of basswood. Basswood sounds great and weighs much less than mahogany, but it is a very soft wood. Even though it sounds great, I don't think I would buy another basswood-bodied guitar. I've had problems with screw holes on my Wolfgang stripping due to the soft wood.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
          At one point in the late 80's, early 90's, the MIJ Fender products were on par with the quality that Fender USA was putting out. That was at a time when Fender was struggling to make it with US production. MIJ Strats and Tele's have a very loyal following, and if you can pick one up for a good price, all reports indicate that you should get a very good instrument.

I would say that Fender USA today is making a better product as a comparison, but the MIJ will serve you well. I am reticent to support Fender because of it's recent actions in the replacement part industry, but they are building a better strat today then they were 10-15 years ago.
          Just to correct Jeff on a small point MIJ strats were pretty god in the early '80s to mid 80's- to be precise '82 -86. If you can pick up one in the '82-'84 range these would have the cherished JV serial number range - the JV stands for Japanese Vintage and not Jimmy Vaughn. I have a late '82 strat (I know cause that's when I bought it) and I would never part with it.
          Normans Guitars

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight Norman.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

I have a '94 MIJ 57 ri strat, and it's great. It easily compares to the US reissues in terms of finish, fit and unplugged tone. I replaced the electronics with better pots, switch and duncans, and put gotoh vintage replacement locking pegs on it. I'd have to go custom shop or vintage to get a better 50s-style strat. Mine has an alder body.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                Just to correct Jeff on a small point MIJ strats were pretty god in the early '80s to mid 80's- to be precise '82 -86. If you can pick up one in the '82-'84 range these would have the cherished JV serial number range - the JV stands for Japanese Vintage and not Jimmy Vaughn. I have a late '82 strat (I know cause that's when I bought it) and I would never part with it.
                YUP ! the JV, SQ and E series are the good ones. after that... It's hit
                or miss.

BTW, Norm, Have you seen what the the JV & SQ strat are going for?
                seem their becoming collecters Items? I payed $369 for my SQ in 84'
                brand new. I see em' on ebay going for $450+ the JV's $600+
                The new faux vintage market LOL ! I woundn't part w/t mine!
                But it's good to know they are gaining value and not depresheating.
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                  YUP ! the JV, SQ and E series are the good ones. after that... It's hit
                  or miss.

BTW, Norm, Have you seen what the the JV & SQ strat are going for?
                  seem their becoming collecters Items? I payed $369 for my SQ in 84'
                  brand new. I see em' on ebay going for $450+ the JV's $600+
                  The new faux vintage market LOL ! I woundn't part w/t mine!
                  But it's good to know they are gaining value and not depresheating.
                  I have actually seen the early JV strats go for £1000 in the UK - approx $1800 USD. Tha's correct thats how much they are valued in some places. But I have also seen an amazing number of JV guitars recently surfacing and have to wonder about them?
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

I've got an 84 Squire MIJ E series 57RI strat. Best damn guitar I've ever played (besides the ones I've built). One piece maple neck, vintage style frets, vintage radius, two string trees. I love the thing. It's got a very resonant alder body. The pickups sounded great, and the electronics lasted 20 years before they went out (to no fault of their own. Mabye I should sue Coke because of it's high acid content and it ruined my electronics and possible vintage value). I've got the pickups laying around here somewhere, which I plan on putting in a strat that I'm relicing as I'm typing this. I payed 170 for mine at a pawnshop.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

i have a '94 mij thats got my favorite neck of all time on it. the basswood body has been retired for an american alder hard tail body but it was a great guitar

Comment

One of my friends has a late-80s MIJ Strat with a Floyd on it and MAYNE that thing has an awesome neck on it. The guitar is light, resonant and produces great tone. Of course the 'lil "59s he put in it help but its still a killer guitar on its own.

Remember that Fender was trying to revitalize and rebuild its USA factories before after CBS's Reign of Terror ended in in 1985 so that pretty much means the USA guitars from the 80's are not all that great. Plus Fender was trying to outdo the Japanese copies at the same time so the result was that production was mainly done in Japan and they turned out to be great guitars for the money. I have no qualms about buying a good MIJ if I had the chance. And I almost have on several occasions.

Comment

The one I was talking about is an E series. I guess they are good.(the series as a whole) This one is fantastic/ $139 used in excellent shape. Little bit of light scratching on the back. no wear on frets, which are shaped excellently I might add. Body is alder.
                          If you can score one, do it.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

MIJ Stars were always great guitars, but during the early 80s when they started appearing here, everyone said how bad they were (probably because they were made in Japan, not America). Now we know better. Amazing how that works.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here's a cool Link JV SQ page
                              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                              X