Ibanez TS-9 or TS-808 ripoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez TS-9 or TS-808 ripoffs?

I'm thinking about getting a fender blues jr. and getting some sort of overdrive pedal, since no shops near me carry small tube amps with good distortion. I'm very interested in teh ibanez ts-9 and 808, but I just think that's a bit too much to pay for a pedal. Does anyone know a model of pedal that is bassically just a ripoff of the ts-9 or ts-808 and sells for less?

Thanks,
    Jacob

Re: Ibanez TS-9 or TS-808 ripoffs?

Buy a TS-5 on ebay and mod it to match the TS-808. It is easy and relatively cheap. One can do it using parts ordered from Small Bear electronics with ease if you can read schematics and use a soldering iron. I can guide you through it if needed.

Comment

Unfortunately, most tubescreamer copies tend to be by the boutique companies who want to improve on the original design. I don't think I've ever seen anything similar for much cheaper (they're mass produced as it is).

Could try trawling through MusicToyz.
      Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
      Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
      Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

Get a Visual Sounds Route 66.

Comment

a TS7 isn't bad for $40 ... is that cheap enough?
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by wasteofo2
            I'm thinking about getting a fender blues jr. and getting some sort of overdrive pedal, since no shops near me carry small tube amps with good distortion. I'm very interested in teh ibanez ts-9 and 808, but I just think that's a bit too much to pay for a pedal. Does anyone know a model of pedal that is bassically just a ripoff of the ts-9 or ts-808 and sells for less?

Thanks,
            Jacob
            The TS5 is a great sounding pedal and inexpensive,but you will need to tweak it to get it that way..

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Maxon makes a better Tube Screamer

Comment

Originally posted by TheMist
                If you're referring to the OD808, yes, it sounds great, but the build quality is piss poor. Open one up, and you'll find out that the "pots" are just little pc board mounted trimmers!

Comment

^ yeah I know bro my OD808 Overdrive knob broke the 1st week. You could turn it in a complete circle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMist
                    Just curious? The TS 808 Reissue is really great,what makes the Maxon pedal better? If the build quality sucks,is the tone better and have you compared these 2 pedals together? What constitutes "better"?

John
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
                      Buy a TS-5 on ebay and mod it to match the TS-808. It is easy and relatively cheap. One can do it using parts ordered from Small Bear electronics with ease if you can read schematics and use a soldering iron. I can guide you through it if needed.

John S.

Comment

If you want to spend less than the re-issue Tube Screamer but want a similar sounding box of good quality try a Boss SD-1 Super overdrive. New they are bettween $39 & $49 (depending on where & when you get it) and you can find em on eBay brand new for $29 sometimes.

The older Japan made ones use the same chip as the original Ibanez Tube Screamers.

For the money you absolutely cannot beat it if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                        buggjuice.net
                        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
                          If you want to spend less than the re-issue Tube Screamer but want a similar sounding box of good quality try a Boss SD-1 Super overdrive. New they are bettween $39 & $49 (depending on where & when you get it) and you can find em on eBay brand new for $29 sometimes.

The older Japan made ones use the same chip as the original Ibanez Tube Screamers.

For the money you absolutely cannot beat it if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers.
                          The SD1 circuit wise is pretty close,but it also is brighter,more aggressive,and has more gain...You have to remove a diode,change the tone stack,and make some other changes before you can get it close to a Tube Screamer..The SD1 also uses a different 4558 chip overall...It's not a JRC 4558D...It's a 4558c chip with it's own character....However,the SD1 is a pretty cool pedal on it's own without mods,but it is bright and not sweet like a Tube Screamer..I'm really talking more about the Taiwan models because I'm seeing more of these than the Japan models..

John

Comment

I had a Boss super overdrive and I replaced it with a TS9 reissue. I love the pedal it does exactly what I need it to do. That being said I was very happy with the Boss super overdrive as well. I got a gift certificate and bought the TS9, I like it better!
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                            X