Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck joint problems...need advice!

Hey guys....

I need some advice from the seriously verteran guitar dudes around here. I've got a guitar with cracks in the finish around the neck joint. How serious is this and what kind of effect can/would this have on the guitar in the forseeable or long range future?

Thanks guys!

Mike

Here are a couple pics:

Re: Neck joint problems...need advice!

I´d have to see it, but usually it´s only the finish
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

You Didn't mention how old the guitar is? After a few years of exposure to the elements, And a lot of heavy use. I've seen many guitars develope stress cracks
      in the finish in the neck joint area. ( Even Strat's!!) From the pics you supplied
      it does'nt look like a structural problem?
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

This guitar is about 21 years old. Is this pretty common with older instruments?

Comment

Do the cracks in-/decrease if you pull/push the neck?
          If no it's only the finish
          If yes ...., bring it to your luthier and he can will tell you (hopefully for free)
          Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
          Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
          Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

They don't seem to change any when I push or pull the neck, though I'm nervous about pushing too hard. Would this kind of finish crack seriously effect the resale value of a semi-collectable vintage instrument?

Thanks guys!

Mike

Comment

I'd say take it to a reputable repair facility and have it checked. The photos don't really show much.. But it could just be laquer checks, nothig structural.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
              X