No announcement yet.

Anyone tried this new soldering tool??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried this new soldering tool??

I saw this on TV now I saw it at Radio Shack...looks pretty cool. I wonder if anyone had tried on their guitar yet since the ONLY time I solder is for my guitar and I hate having to have that hot iron sit around and heat up and make a mess all the time.

The tip heats and cools almost immediately and it runs off of batteries.

Re: Anyone tried this new soldering tool??

It's only $19.99 so it's worth giving a shot. I don't know how usefu it will be giving the handle is quite large to be fitting into tight control cavities. I have a hard time not burning everything up with the Wesco "pencil" wand and the Radio Shack thing is more like an over-weight cordless toothbrush.

Comment

I don't know... there's something about Battery Powered and Soldering that just doesn't go together. Soldering irons get really freaking hot... I'm thinking this thing will eat batteries. Also, will it get hot enough to work with, say, rewiring an amp? Maybe it'll work to fix an output jack but I can't say it would hold up for anything halfway serious and complicated.

Anyways, I might give it a shot if enough forum people say its worth it.
      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I wouldn't do amps with it....but the only soldering I do is for pickups and guitars basically so this might be nice. I also have a rechargable battery system so I wouldn't eat any batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
          I wouldn't do amps with it....but the only soldering I do is for pickups and guitars basically so this might be nice. I also have a rechargable battery system so I wouldn't eat any batteries.
          I guess from the sounds of it it may be worth a go. Let me know how it is!
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
              I saw this on TV now I saw it at Radio Shack...looks pretty cool. I wonder if anyone had tried on their guitar yet since the ONLY time I solder is for my guitar and I hate having to have that hot iron sit around and heat up and make a mess all the time.

The tip heats and cools almost immediately and it runs off of batteries.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D2102
              Yes, I just tried it for the first time about 2 days ago. The tip is split and sends an arc across the tip generating 500 dgrees of heat instantly. It cools within a few seconds after you remove it from the solder joint. The tips appear as if they will wear out quickly, but it works pretty well!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

i'm curious too...i was thinking about asking for some guitar tech equipment for Christmas this year, and of course a soldering iron is on the list...?!
                Originally posted by jeremy
                God hates bad guitar tone
                GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

i bought 1 a few weeks ago and used it to put in my dimebucker. the only problem i see arising is trying to replace the tip after time
                  '05 Gibson SG Standard
                  '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                  PRS IRW McCarty
                  '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                  82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

My techs use these in the field, as well as small butane torches for in-field work.
                    It's great for small jobs, or if you have limited space and aren't near an AC outlet.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I ordered one off TV awhile ago, maybe 4 months, and it still hasnt come in. I cant really be mad though, no money's been deducted from my back account either.
                      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

What is its equivalent in tenrs of wattage? I have problems because we live in a condo and I have to do the soldering work in our bedroom....gets messy and sometimes the chord gets tangled and knocks over the soldering iron. I even burned a hole in our rug.

I had issues with the solder balling up because I couldn't get the solder hot enough faste enough with the lower wattage irons. Does this one work fast? How about for desoldering?

Comment

I've got one with a standard and fine tip. It works great for soldering inside the control cavity of a guitar mainly because there is almost zero radiant heat. You don't have to worry about melting the insulation off of surrounding wires. The tips are fragile and they feel like plastic. Replacement tips cost almost as much as the soldering iron itself.
                          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Working...
                          X