ecc83's are the euro version of 12ax7's if I understand it correctly
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

You understand it perfectly : )... yes the ECC83 is a European version of the 12AX7
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Hey i just found out that the marshall zak wylde signiature head comes with four 6550 tubes, which are the same as my tubes, and zak gets amazing tone! Hes is one of my all time favourite heavy tones!

Although his and i think other jcm800's have four 6550's and are 100 watts. While my savage has only two 6550's and claims 120watts. What gives there? Could it have something to do with the ENGL 6550 tubes being kt88's? If i dont get a response in this thread ill start another one.
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

Another thing you should do if you havent is, if you turn all the knobs to their extremes and then adjust from their, write down settings that you think sound what you want, do tat a few times an different sequences then after a few times try and combine a few of the settings and see what happens...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I'm going to forward this thread to my amp guy and see if he can't answer a couple of these questions.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Dan uses a Marshall MKII SL head with a Mesa V-twin pedal in front of it for their heavey sound.

Check: http://www.thedarknessrock.com/ and look at "Spiders Corner". Spider is their tech and has all their info listed.

HTH

J
              Low wattage rocks!
              Bumbox Lead 1
              Orange Tiny Terror
              Vox 120VTH
              ----------------------
              Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
              Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

if the amp has 6550, it can be hard to get the darkness kinda of tone. it has some squish that a 6550 just wont get. EL34 will do it, but im not sure or familiar enough with the savage 120 to know if you can stick some in there. find out if you can put some EL34 in there, and maybe do that. will get you closer to the tone you seek.

germ
                Jeremy Ledford
                Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                  I'm going to forward this thread to my amp guy and see if he can't answer a couple of these questions.
                  Thanks heaps Robert, I look forward to hearing back from that
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
                    if the amp has 6550, it can be hard to get the darkness kinda of tone. it has some squish that a 6550 just wont get. EL34 will do it, but im not sure or familiar enough with the savage 120 to know if you can stick some in there. find out if you can put some EL34 in there, and maybe do that. will get you closer to the tone you seek.

germ
                    Id be quite happy with something along the lines of zakk's tone too. I dont want to copy someones tone but i want to get some kind of heavy but tasty les paul/cranked marshall type of tone...but with an ENGL which will give it that different flavour
                    My Soundclick page.

Comment

can you make a clip of the amp? cranked? might be helpful to know where you are starting from.

germ
                      Jeremy Ledford
                      Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                      Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
                      X