Preamp solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp solutions

I have a JCM 800, and I'm looking for suggestions for a good preamp pedal or even a rackmount. I would prefer tube. I've been looking around online, but I figured you guys were the best to ask. (btw, I guess I got deleted or something from the forum when they changed the format, so I had to re-register... oh well) Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Re: Preamp solutions

Hi Bryan. I use JCM 800's, and I've been interested in the very same thing. From what I gather, the Marshall JMP-1 is a Killer pre-amp. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses one. My 800's are the 2204 Heads ( no effects loop ), so I don't think a pre-amp would work out for me. . I was talking with Gearjoneser about this very subject yesterday. His advice was to run the pre-amp through the FX out on the amp, to get the best tone/sound. He is pretty knowledgeable on these things. As for other pre-amps, I haven't used em or heard good/bad about em. So...I can't comment on em. What type of sound are you lookin for??? Someone will surely help you out. Lots of bright minds on here. I'm currently using an Ibanez TS-808 to push the front end of my 800's. ( Old school, ya know ?? ) Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I use a Amer. Strat with an Invader in the Bridge. And a 4x12 cab (2 G12H30, 2 V30). My 800 is a 2203 100 watt. It rips, but it has to be cranked ridiculously loud (which is ok). I get a great sound, but I want a little more in the preamp stage for that ripping distortion. (I guess more saturation.)
      I've tried all kinds of preamp tubes, and power tubes. Right now I have GT Reds in the pre, and for power: 2 Sovtek on the inside, 2 Svetlana on the outside. I really want to try the Sovtek 12AX7LPS.
      A TubeScreamer is a great idea, thanks. I completely overlooked that option... and that pedal is awesome. I was thinking about trying the new Mesa pedal (V-1 Bottle Rocket), but I feel I might lose the integrity of my 800 sound.
      Any other suggestions?
      Last edited by BryanL.; 04-01-2004, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You may want to try an attenuator on it, if you're not already. I'm not sure how much difference it would make, but it seems like if you ran a THD Hot Plate, or Weber Mass with it, you could soak it for a little more gain, then kick it's ass with the Tube Screamer, ya know ??? OK, attenuator guy's, help him out !!!! LOL I wish I knew more about the Power Attenuators, but there are good folks on here who can explain it much better than I. They helped me with my Power soak ( attenuator ) questions a few days ago.
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by BryanL.
          I have a JCM 800, and I'm looking for suggestions for a good preamp pedal or even a rackmount. I would prefer tube. I've been looking around online, but I figured you guys were the best to ask. (btw, I guess I got deleted or something from the forum when they changed the format, so I had to re-register... oh well) Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
          The attenuators are definitely something to look into, i used an old Rockman power soak years back for about a month, it gave acceptable performance, but I've never done A/B testing of various brands, I think marshall still makes their power brake unit,i've heard good and bad about it off and on, but nothing specific or that I could really remember off hand. As far as the preamp deal I stand behind the JMP-1 also, sound like your 800? Well, I don't know about that, but good smooth tones it does have, a lots of good useful features. I still use an old ADA MP-1 (unmodded at the moment), and you can still catch them on ebay, problem is unless you know someone with on or can get access to try one out, it's a great piece, but it might not be for you tone wise. (I definitely say worth having one though, personal bias and opinion), the traxis without a second thought, but again will it do what you want (and they are a bit pricey), the sansamp rackmount a friend of mine had and it was pretty tasty, and seemed very versatile and tweakable (of course that has no tubes period, but still sound good).
          If you really love the sound of the 800 then I'd say check into one of the soaks ... the marshall I think is supposed to be very reasonable price wise (then again I haven't exactly shopped for one).
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I'd say check into the ADA MP-1. In my opinion, its awsome sounding and cheaper then the JMP-1, but just a through. Even if you get it modded, its still cheaper.

If not, then look for somthing like a tube screamer or Boss SD-1 to use infront of the amp and give it a push for more gain.

good luck,
            Duke
            www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

A preamp + top - isn't there one preamp too much?
              You would have to try to bypass the preamp of JCM800, e.g. by connecting it to fx return (don't know if it has one)
              Hughes & Kettner needs getting used to, but is a great sounding, 3 channel, pedal, tube preamp
              Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
              Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
              Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
                I'd say check into the ADA MP-1. In my opinion, its awsome sounding and cheaper then the JMP-1, but just a through. Even if you get it modded, its still cheaper.

If not, then look for somthing like a tube screamer or Boss SD-1 to use infront of the amp and give it a push for more gain.

good luck,
                Duke
                Ditto. Although it didn't sound great through my JCM800...you really need a preamp bypass so you can use just the power section.

Comment

Originally posted by psy
                  You would have to try to bypass the preamp of JCM800, e.g. by connecting it to fx return (don't know if it has one)
                  Hughes & Kettner needs getting used to, but is a great sounding, 3 channel, pedal, tube preamp

I still want to use my preamp in the 800. I just need something for that little extra boost. I think I'm liking the idea of a tubescreamer. What is the best tubescreamer?

Comment

Originally posted by BryanL.
                    What is the best tubescreamer?
                    IMO, the RGW Pistol Pete (can run @ 18v) or the Visual Sounds RT66.

Comment

zerb swears by his v-twin/JCM800 combo, hes the guy to talk to i reckon.
                      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by psy
                        Not necessarily, most of the time you can set you amp to the clean channel, and set it's eq flat ... therein is the trick, you must know where the flat spot is on your eq, believe it or not the flat spot on most fender style tone stacks (which marshall and vox use the same basic configuration mind you) is with the mids @ 10 and the treble and bass @ 0 ... sounds odd huh? on most of the amps that will give you a flat eq curve. The problem comes in because some of the amps have that bright cap across the volume control, so that gives you a high end boost, also marshalls tend to cut the bass a bit more heavily throughout the preamp at various stages ( keeps from getting muddy), so you still have to tweak it a bit. The other channels can be set up cleanish and used for different eq and levels for solos and what not. It depends on if you are using the preamp to make all of your tone, or if you are just using it as a boost, if it's just a boost, then a full bore preamp is kinda a waste. If you do want just the preamp sound, then the power amp input, or fX retaurn (depending on preamp output levels )would be the way to go, but if you can use it thru the clean channel, then you get the benefit of being able to use the amps eq to tuned to the stage/room, or just make whatever on the fly changes you want.
                        Yeah, I forgot about those guys, don't know what they currently offer, but they have some good sounding stuff ... didn't Pearce get picked up and *absorbed* by them at one time?
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                        X