reached a GAS chasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reached a GAS chasm

I'm starting to get more & more into brian setzer, it leaves me gassing for a semi hollow with some twang & some teeth

problem is, i don't have 2 grand to spend on a gretsch, and i hate ibanez & gibbo necks, teles are not bad, but really nothing beats a strat neck. I can also deal with gibbo ES necks, which is what i was told the bigsby pro jets are like, but I'd be playing rockabilly-based riffs on this guitar, and that means i need a lot of speed, and strat necks are the fastest for me.

so i look to warmoth, but all they have is this...SEMI semi hollow kinda thing, and I'm not sure how gretschish that would sound

so, anyone got a solution?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: reached a GAS chasm

I'm a huge rockabilly fan too, and I scored a great deal on a mint Setzer 6120 on eBay. I got it for $1500, and the guy had played it less than 10 times, but I don't think I'd play $3000 (approx.) for a new one.
    As far as Warmoth goes, go with the semi-hollow Tele with one of these:

and a couple of these:

Guitar pickups handmade with 100% USA sourced parts. Transform your Tone with our amazingly versatile pickups!

If you dig Strat necks, you can get one from Warmoth cut to fit a Tele body, I believe. I think those Ibanez Artcores are an excellent deal, I know you said you don't dig Ibanez (I don't like their skinny-neck Floyd guitars), but give one a try if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Comment

okay, time to take this thread to a more in-depth level

heres what i want

a full hollow sound without TOO much feedback (I always need versatility, it will most likely be played under hi-gain frequently)

a twangy gutsy bridge, I'm not too worried about output, i was planning to get a SD pickup booster anyways. Not sure if a noiseless tele bridge or TV jones would be better fit. Its possible to have a bigsby on a tele, right?

middle - well, I'd like to have a twangbanger

neck - something reverse polarity to go with the twangbanger

strat neck

so what do you guys reccomend?

Comment

getting the sound of a hollow body from a non hollow body is kinda tricky

a nice semi hollow mahogany body with a maple neck with ebony fingerboard, a pair of filterton type pups with a twangbanger in the middle, bigsby would be a very cool rockabilly guitar though

Comment

Peavey have just bought out a gretsch-style guitar. Gretsch are also doing a new import line. Check them out...
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

called what

Comment

well a compromise would be

find a way to make my middle strat pickup sound like its a bridge pop pup
              find a way to make my neck strat pickup sound like its a middle pos pup

and put something twangy like...maybe a twangbanger, i dunno, something twangy (I'm not opposed to routing) in the middle. I never use the rythm strat pickup, but i absolutely love the middle one, and theres a jb in the bridge...and well, its not goin anywhere

is there any pot that could accomplish this, or maybe disconnecting the tone knobs? I'm up for suggestions, infact i'm prolly in need of an ingenius one, cuz i have no idea how to go about doing this

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                called what
                In the immortal words of Lee:

Do a google search.

Perhaps the peavey and gretsch websites may help. Sorry, but I can't find my silver platter right this minute...
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

bump

Comment

If you want the best for the cheapest, do a daily search on Ebay for Washburn.
                    They're making some killer hollowbodies, and a few with humbuckers and Bigsbys.
                    I've tried some of those Washburn HB-35's and they're better than Epiphone and Ibanez 335 copies, and almost close to Gibson, in feel and wood quality.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

ok, did a LOT of guitar testing today, and heres what i discovered

gretsch electromatic - noce guitar, neck is pretty good, not a big fan of the bridge position, middle & neck were awesome. Didn't like the feedback of just one alone tho, in combination they seemed to be pretty much hum cancelling, i guess partly due to the hollow aspect

gretsch white falcon - AWESOME guitar, not so awesome price tag, liked the bridge, loved the middle, liked the neck, once again not a fan of the feedback, but all else was flawless

gretsch bigsby pro jet - it was okay, the neck was a little too thin & long for my tastes, pickups were same as electromatic, but it lacked the warmth of a hollow or even a semi hollow

fender nashville tele - love love LOVED the bridge pickup, gutsy & twang galore. middle & neck were okay i guess, once again i prefer the strat neck

so here's what its lookin like, gonna hafta be warmoth, whether its f-hole cuts or the full body route depends on how much warmth is gained, and how much extra feedback is given to it. I'm not sure if too much hollow would detract from the twang, which is also a big concern. Gonna hafta have a tex mex tele pickup in the bride (is this hum cancelling? if not, is there one pretty identical that is?) and as for the other 2 pickups i dunno, i'd like some of those gretsch tv jones, but they'd hafta be used in combination for hum cancelling & warmth, but I dunno if a mid/neck middle position would be too muddy or not, unless theres a hum cancelling tv jones that sounds like a falcon. And then a strat neck. I'm not sure about wood type, any reccomendations here would be appreciated too. Please respond

Comment

oh, and i tried 2 different artcores, hated the necks, HATED

Comment

Working...
                        X