Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String height over bridge???

Guys,

How essential is it to have the strings just over the back of the bridge with a stop tail set up? My tech set up my guitar perfectly but I am going to install the aluminum tail onto this LP and it has a much larger arc so I can see the strings will be higher over the bridge!

The other thing is he set up my Dean but the strings are tight over the bridge. Is this okay?

Thanks!

Re: String height over bridge???

If you like the way this guitar is set up now, I'd sugest getting a ruler and measuring just how high this stop peice is from the guitar body, then set you're new one in the same way.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Thanks, but the strings will sit higher over the bridge because of the bridge's design.

Comment

Even when screwed down all the way? If all else fails, you could wrap the strings UNDER the bridge/tailpeice.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

No, I am saying if I set it to the same height as the original, the strings are high above the bridge because of the greater arc in the aluminum tail. Yes, you are right...I could screw it down but the height would be different.

The big thing that bothers me is the fact that on my Dean.....the strings are pressed hard against the bridge. Don't know if this effects tone.

Comment

Just a little thing to watch out for, bro....I string my LP with the strings over the tailpiece as well and, when I first started doing that, the rough edges of the tailpiece would saw thru the unwound strings. Just check that the edges (on the outside) are not going to do this before you experiment.....

Comment

Does having the strings touch the bridge hurt sustain?

Comment

Working...
              X