help with home recording on pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with home recording on pc

I'm gonna be getting a new computer soon and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what sound card to get, and also if there was any special recording hardware i needed (I havent recording anything before, so I really don't know where to start)
    Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
    Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
    Taylor 110E Acoustic
    Traynor YCV 20
    Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Re: help with home recording on pc

There are several computer recording guys here, so don't worry -- someone will post something helpful before long ...

I'm computer illiterate, or I would help ya!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

i'm having a problem with my Line in section of my sound card (hercules gamesurround fortissimo II) so i advice you NOT to buy this card.
      many of todays mainboards have very very good built in sounds cards, that supercede some other manufacturers products (like the one i have)
      also, you have to figure out how you'll record stuff.
      if you're going to mic the amp, sly_d, marinblues and some others can help you with this immensly. if you're going to connect a modeler like the guitar port/POD XT and similar products (johnson J-station, V-amp2 etc) you wont need anything ground breaking in your comp, just a normally working sound card, a USB port and a lot of patience tweaking your presets =)

good luck in your ventures and never forget, we're here to help

Comment

I'd liketo mic the amp, as I realyl like the tones I get and would want that to come though (I have a Traynor YVC20 and a strat with antiquities)

I was looking at the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy-2 ZS Platinum 7.1 it seems to be the high end from what I can tell.

Has anyone used ths before, or does anyone know of any sites with reviews of audio hardware? I can't find any.
        Taylor 110E Acoustic
        Traynor YCV 20
        Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

You might be best served by getting a small desktop thing from M-Audio, and running the mic into that, and then USB out ... ?
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Depending how deep you what to get into PC recording? The stock
            soundcard in any new PC should be fine. My PC has a Soundblaster
            that came w/t the machine.( It works fine) like mentioned above there
            are many ways to record into your soundcard. (i.e.) amp modelers,
            mic'ed amp, direct? So that will dictate what hareware you need.
            Basic setup... just a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch phono cable .

EDIT: If you what to mic your amp, If you have a small mixer or 4 track?
            just run the line out into your soundcard.
            Last edited by kmcguitars; 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

MAudio makes some nice reasonably priced stuff. It also depends on how many tracks you need to record at the same time. Also are you going to be doing vocals etc. I have an Omnistudio with a Delta 66 card and it's alot of fun, easy to use, and get's pretty good results. It costs around $250 or so.
              Try to stay away from "gaming and mp3" (sound blaster etc.) type cards for recording as they are limiting and the converters are not as good. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. also a good info. resource is www.recording.org and homerecording.com
              You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
              - Frank Zappa

Comment

I think I'd like at least 8 or preferably 16 tracks.

I probably won't be doing vocals at first, but eventually I probably will.

Right now I'll just be doing Guitar, Keyboard, Bass, and once I get em Sitar and Cello
                Taylor 110E Acoustic
                Traynor YCV 20
                Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

I want to "ditto" what BobbyEarl and TwilightOdyssey said:

SoundBlaster built their reputation on "gaming" cards, and haven't varied too much from that philosphy. (Even though there ads say different.)

Maudio and Echo are great high-end, dedicated sound cards. But you may still want to consider getting a mixer. That is, after all, its prime job. An old Teac/Tascam on eBay, or similar will do a great job.

They just give you so much versatility. Even a cheap $40 Behringer would be better than nothing.

Comment

Also look at www.tweakheadz.com read the guide, it is chock full of help with recording...from gear selection to how to plug it all up!

8 tracks will cost more..and is that 8 tracks at a time? as in micing a band ie: 3mics on the drum kit, 2 guitar amps, bass direct, and 2 vocal mics all being recorded at the same time, because, depending on your software you can record many, many tracks if you do them one at a time.
                    If you need that many inputs to be recorded all at once you might look at the Aardvark Pro Q10, (I sold mine cuz I'm a one man band now) it can record 8 at the same time and also has some decent mic pre's. I think it's around 800 bucks
                    And if you want to expand in the future get gear that you won't out grow instead of buying stuff that you'll have to replace again and again as your recording addiction get outta hand (I have bad guitar AND recording G.A.S)
                    Last edited by BobbyEarl; 10-21-2004, 03:25 PM.
                    You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
                    - Frank Zappa

Comment

PC based recording has come a long way and there are a couple of ways you can go. Plugging directly into your sound card will probably work but it won't be super flexable. While I haven't played with much of the PC based stuff I would highly suggest looking at some of the software/interface based programs out there. At least you'll get deceint mixing capability and something that resembles a mic preamp, which is pretty important if you want deceint tone from a mic. You might even find something with some sequencing, synth stuff and drum capabilities built in and that will keep you amused for quite awhile.

You might look at the M Box by Digidesign and that starts at $500, but Im sure you can find simular things for less than half that. I bet there's something out there in the $200 range that you will find far more interesting than plugging direct into your sound card.
                      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I've got a project recording studio wiith an Aardvark q10, but I don't think you guys are planning on recording a full drum set all at once. Some of the firewire boxes from Maudio would be perfect for you. Something with a couple XLR inputs for maybe an SM57 or even a condenser mic... (i like to put the condesner mic about 3 to 5 feet back from the cabinet for a more ambient room sound and the 57 right on the grill of the amp). Check out harmony central as well because there is loads of help there to be found.

Comment

great info here :thumbup:

just steer away from hercules soundcards! dont say i didnt warn you

Comment

You might be best served by getting a small desktop thing from M-Audio, and running the mic into that, and then USB out ..
                            What he said... or something similar.

I know a company called Aardvark makes something cheap along these lines too, though I can't vouch for its quality. How much are you willing to spend, anyway? I might have something to sell, like around the $500 range pretty soon, though it probably does way more than you're lookin' for (does way more than I'm lookin' for too!)

Comment

Working...
                            X