Help! Why do my mini-humbuckers hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Why do my mini-humbuckers hum?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and hope you can help...

I recently bought a Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe (30th Anniversary Limited Edition reissue). The guitar looks great and plays beautifully, but I'm not convinced about the pickups.

The mini-humbuckers hum like single coils when selected individually, but the noise stops when both pups are turned on (as in positions 2 and 4 on a strat).

I know that the mini-humbuckers are supposed to sound a lot brighter than standard Gibson humbuckers, but the bridge pup sounds extremely thin and quite hollow (thinner than a strat!).

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks
    Tony

Re: Help! Why do my mini-humbuckers hum?

Mabye its out of phase...
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

That was the only thing I could think of, but I have no idea how to easily check it.

Comment

well unfortunatly thats about the extent of my knowledge of phase differences but welcome to the forum....

im pretty sure theres a schematic on putting your pickup out of phase and i think in only involves switching the hot and ground wires,but dont quote me on that ....

im sure one of the resident experts willl be here soon so they'll know...

l8r... and welcome..
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Cheers Y2Stevo.

I'll wait for one of them resident experts you mention.....

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
            well unfortunatly thats about the extent of my knowledge of phase differences but welcome to the forum....

im pretty sure theres a schematic on putting your pickup out of phase and i think in only involves switching the hot and ground wires,but dont quote me on that ....

im sure one of the resident experts willl be here soon so they'll know...

l8r... and welcome..
            Yeah, That's pretty much it with a 2 lead PuP. Just hot+ and ground - Switch
            them you'll have a phase problem. Now let me understand something? Is this
            a brand new guitar ( Untouched) Or does it appear that someone was in there
            with a soldering iron? It's possiable the selector switch could be wired wrong?
            You need a schematic to see whats up. The bridge mini's do have a nasal
            sound to them, But if it sounds thin and transparent? That sounds like a phase problem. Hope this helps Good luck finding that gremlin in there.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Thanks very much - I think you're right.

The guitar is second hand but only a year or so old.

I just had a mail back from the guy I bought it from - he admitted that the bridge pickup was faulty when he bought the guitar so the shop replaced it for him.

I'm pretty certain they loused the wiring up now!

I am a bit curious why it should hum on either the front or the rear pickup though - could they have screwed the whole thing up just by replacing the bridge pickup incorrectly?

Comment

Who knows what they did? It could be a bad solder joint. Or a grounding issuse? Here's a link to a site that has diagrams. Look for sloppy solder
                joints.

http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

My main question after reading these posts would be whether or not the pups are four conductor or just two conductor, if four conductor then there may be a coil that's not connected, or shorted out (hence splitting the pup back to single coil), if it's two conductor then if there is a fault then it's inside the pup (if covered, and if it's a mini-hum, then I'll bet it is ); it's possible that the connection between the two coils is shorted out against the cover perhaps. Check to see if all your connections are solid, make sure your covers are grounded. Anything other than that , and you'll have to go into the pup (at least under the cover), best thing would be check all your connections, and then if they check out take it to a shop if you don't feel your up to opening the pups up themselves.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Excellent advice, thank you all very much for your help.

Tony, London

Comment

Cause they don't know the words? Sorry couldn't help myself!

Seems like you got your answer but check for cold solder joints and bad grounds.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                      X