Bridge Saddle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Saddle Question

I've noticed that the high E on my strat-style Godin is a bit shrill and overall different from the sound of the other strings. There's nothing wrong with the nut or the actual saddle, and the intonation is fine. I found something that Lewguitar posted about modding strats and strat style guitars.

Part Three:

I think the high E string on a Strat tends to sound alittle buzzy, rattley and weak compared to the other strings.

I learned that Eric Johnson uses a brass saddle for the high E string.

So do I!

It really improves the tone of the high E and I highly recommend this simple mod.
    Does this actually work? I'd like to give it a try. Is it that hard to replace a saddle?

Re: Bridge Saddle Question

Also, where could I get a spare brass saddle? Can you reccomend a website or something?

Comment

yes...it works
      no...it's not hard to do
      Luthier tools, guitar parts, and supplies for instrument builders, repair shops, hobbyists, and players worldwide. Same day shipping, free technical support, 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Korg, Vox, Buzz Stop, Fender, Ashdown, Hofner, SWR, Blackstar, Gretsch, Bigsby, Guild, HK Lucas, LAG, Guitar, Amplifier, Parts

good luck

P.S. I'd also check ebay...i hate them too but it's a good place to start.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks...but i'm having trouble locating brass saddles... Can't find any that specifically say brass...
        Last edited by Ocifer; 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I have a few saddles lying around, I think a few of them are brass. Post or email me a pic so I know what it should ideally look like and IŽll get back to you in a day or so with what I have
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Oh, just a quick other question: I'm going to go and get a replacement saddle at my local guitar shop, but I'd just like to know: How do I remove my current saddle, and how do I put the new one in? Do I just keep unscrewing the screw (I've got a Strat-style brigde, btw) until the screw comes off, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ocifer
              Oh, just a quick other question: I'm going to go and get a replacement saddle at my local guitar shop, but I'd just like to know: How do I remove my current saddle, and how do I put the new one in? Do I just keep unscrewing the screw (I've got a Strat-style brigde, btw) until the screw comes off, or what?
              Just unscrew counter-clockwise until the screw falls out. Remember to reinsert the "tension" spring that wraps around the screw when you add the new saddle.

And let us know where we can get a single brass saddle.

Comment

Thanks for the info... I'll probably have to get a whole set of 6 of brass saddles anyway...

Comment

Working...
                X