banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of guitar should I build next? help me decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of guitar should I build next? help me decide!

I've been seriously thinking about building another guitar, I remember it being a lot of fun. No Warmoth here (and arfter converting to AUD & import duties are $$$) so I'll have to build the body from scratch like I did last time.

I'm thinking something like the new Femder TC-90 Thinline (double-cutaway back routed tele, semi hollow & with an f-hole:

but contoured top & back, natural finish. Contoured neck pocket like Warmoth offers. But what sort of neck, bridge, pickups or control arrangement?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Re: What sort of guitar should I build next? help me decide!

Take a look at the G&L ASAT Junior in the Custom Creations section. It's equipped with 2 single coils, but 2 P-90s would be cool. If you don't care that it doesn't look exactly like the Fender, do 2 humbuckers. I'm thinking of making a 2 bucker guitar like this myself.
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

I like the tele-thing you mention. Maybe do a hollow/chambered body. As for pickups, right now I have my ears bent to some P-90s (although nobody seems to have any advice?...) What I'm thinking about is getting 2 vintage p-90s and wiring them in a 4-way switch like the JD, although I don't know how P-90's would sound in series vs. parallel. Something to think about, but the door's wide open-have fun!

p.s. the G&L Jr. looks kinda cool, but I'm not to hot for the slanted P-90 in its bridge position. Keep 'em straight!
      Last edited by Dave; 04-02-2004, 08:36 AM.
      Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

I've been considering something along these lines myself.
        I think the bridge you've shown is fine - that or a tele style bridge, but most seem to prefer a TOM on those ..
        I'd like strat style controls, in a Volume/ Tone config. I find the position and angle of a strat switch very natural. A 4-way tele switch is another option to give you "in series" switching as well.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          I've been considering something along these lines myself.
          I think the bridge you've shown is fine - that or a tele style bridge, but most seem to prefer a TOM on those ..
          I'd like strat style controls, in a Volume/ Tone config. I find the position and angle of a strat switch very natural. A 4-way tele switch is another option to give you "in series" switching as well.
          Curly - I've never played a tuneomatic before, but it would need a neck angle build int othe neck pocket. What are they like? The don't seem to have the same to-body contact that a tele bridge would have.

I like strat style controls - my current tele happens to have a strat layout and a 4 way switch (well, a standard strat 5-way one actually, with 2 positions doubled up)

Dave - if I use tas oak again (equivelnt of ash) I'm going to HAVE to make it chambered... my tele weighs 4.5-5 kgs. I'm not sure how that compares to a LP, but I'm sure it's heavy for a fender-style guitar. I agree on the slanted p-90s.. I don't like them on that guitar either.. The only guitar I have seen that I have liked them on was a natural finish G&L ASAT with a white pickguard and white P90s. Looked right.

Stratoplayer - thansk for the link. I've been looking all through the G&Ls. I don't care for looking exactly like a fender at all - check my sig. I am leaning towards 2 humbuckers or p90s (have never played those), but my tele at the moment effectively has 2 humbuckers so I'm not so sure.

How about this idea: (dodgy 5min edit)

though I think I'd preffer something more like a G&L bridge
          Last edited by StefanM; 04-02-2004, 09:41 AM.
          Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Working...
          X