No announcement yet.

Let's talk EL34 (and a tad about KT66!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk EL34 (and a tad about KT66!)

Well, I have knowledge with preamp tubes.. but not much about EL34s.

We're talking about current productions, unless you have a quite affordable NOS duets to suggest.

I'm currently running a pair of JJ E34L in my Laney, they have about 200 hours on them, but I'm running the MV only at ~3-4. No ear-crushing volumes...

I found the overall tone rather good (at least, better than the GT-6L6C that were in there initially!), but I think its missing some character now. So I'd like to have a few inputs regarding those JJ E34L, what you think about these. And what would be a great replacement. SED ?

Also planning to try out some Shuguang KT66 too. What should I expect ? Thicker mids ? More clean headroom ?

Thanks in advance!
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Re: Let's talk EL34 (and a tad about KT66!)

For current production tubes I really like the Svetlana Winged "C" EL34's the best. To my ears they ae the most musical and have the most detail. I've also used the EH EL34's, and they are pretty good also, just a little brighter than the Svetlana's. JJ's I haven't tried, but lots of folks like them.

There are some reasonable NOS EL34's left, here's what I am going to put in my JCM 800 when it's due for a re-tube. This is from www.kcanostubes.com

NOS "Siemens" EL34s---------------------$ 85 Per matched pair
    -----------------------------------------$ 175 Per matched quartet

East German EL34s with great tone. Last of the reasonably priced NOS EL34s. These are labeled "National". The tone of these is as close as you can get to Mullards without spending 3+ times as much. Should not be used in amps with plate voltage over 450 volts.
    "These are SO much better sounding than the Tesla E34Ls in my JCM800, I can't believe the difference. I'd like 2 more pairs to match the first pair. Thanks. Lee Bridenstine"
    My Sound Clips

Comment

well, first of all, depending on the amp, E-34Ls are a more rugged tube than a regular EL-34

I'd take Jeff's advice, though, since he's used EL-34s

I've seen comments, though, that the JJ EL-34s and the Winged C Svets are the best current production tubes

of the current KT-66s, I'd lean towards the Groove Tubes Russian version
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Svetlana Winged "C" EL34's - excellent tubes

I find the JJ's to be a bit dark for my tastes most of the time.

I have a matched quad of the Svet's for sale brand new if you're interested.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Wattage,

JJ being too dark ? That's what I thought when I first tried their tubes, their 12AT7, 12AX7, 6L6 and E34L were all darker than other tubes I tried, whereas EHx is brighter, near-harsh sounding, but still fine.

PM about those Svets. Are they SED or Svetlana labeled ?
          I only need a duet.
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
          X