banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinky fans?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dinky fans?

    Anybody play Jackson dinkys? I'm getting one from my awsome girlfriend next month. I have a USA soloist and i love it , I wanted another Jackson to tune down and i tried a dx10d and to my surprize , i liked it. I never was much for bolt-on guitars but i was impressed so my girlfriend goes and orders me a dk2 in errie dess swirl! I love her!!!!! anyways I want to change the pickups When i get it and i want it to be fairly close to my sl2h . [it has a JB bridge/ 59 neck] So i was thinking about a JB and a lil screaming deamon, or a Screamin deamon and lil screamin deamon. Suggestions please?

  • #2
    Re: Dinky fans?

    Id use a Custom for the Bridge, JBJr for the neck

    The added bass response and tightness of the Custom combined with the rosewood fretboard come relatively close to the tone of a Jackson Neck-thru, and the tad of extra sizzle adds back some of the brightness from the rosewood board instead of ebony.

    Wont sound the same, but pretty close
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

    Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dinky fans?

      Zerb,

      Dumb question alert!!! What exactly is the difference between a "Dinky" and other breeds of Jackson? Is it purely the bolt neck? Or am I missing something?

      I love my soloist, but some days my bolt neck MIJ seems to really outshine. I'm putting my old JB (since it's gathering dust) in the MIJ along with a jazz in a few days. Can't wait to hear what it's like. If it's lame... goin' to the Custom.
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dinky fans?

        Dinky = Bolt on, 7/8 -size Strat shape
        Soloist = Neck Thru, minimallly different shape to balance-compensate for the (usually) longer 24 fret neck

        All other lines are either/ or, depending on model. Except Charvels (only available as Neck-thru via the Custom Shop) and the Swee-tone series.
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

        Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dinky fans?

          Zerb,

          You know, I've got my axes hanging on the wall. I sit there and look at the two Jacksons, and it always seemed that the MIJ bolt was just a tad smaller than the soloist, and it seemed like the controls were just slightly differently placed than the soloist. There is definitely a weight difference, but I thought maybe it was Alder vs Basswood, Ebony vs Rosewood. I was too damned lazy to actually measure the difference. Sheesh, the things you've taught me.

          Thanks, Chief!
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dinky fans?

            Do they call it a dinky because it's 7/8 and closer to Gibson length? I didn't know.

            Always wondered why they'd sell a product to men called a "dinky"
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dinky fans?

              Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Always wondered why they'd sell a product to men called a "dinky"
              Ha ha good point.

              If Zerb were here he might say something like, "Jackson players don't have size issues because it takes a real man to play one..."

              or maybe, "Jackson players don't have size issues because they already play huge..."

              or something like that.

              I have a Jackson and a Gibson, so I guess you could say I swing both ways anyway.
              Originally posted by Scott_F
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dinky fans?

                Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Do they call it a dinky because it's 7/8 and closer to Gibson length? I didn't know.

                Always wondered why they'd sell a product to men called a "dinky"
                IIRC Because someone literally said "it looks Dinky", on Robin Crosby. Grover liked the name and stuck with it. Could be a total rag, though

                The scale length is the same, 25 1/2". A dinky with a 24 3/4 scale is called a Fusion, the SLS and some other (rarer) Soloists are also short scale, but these are the exception.

                Originally posted by JammerMatt
                Ha ha good point.

                If Zerb were here he might say something like, "Jackson players don't have size issues because it takes a real man to play one..."

                or maybe, "Jackson players don't have size issues because they already play huge..."

                or something like that.

                I have a Jackson and a Gibson, so I guess you could say I swing both ways anyway.
                How about: With a tone that huge, we can afford to understate sometimes :
                Last edited by Zerberus; 04-02-2004, 03:22 PM.
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

                Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

                Comment

                Working...
                X