banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: Question for all Southern Californian forum bros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: Question for all Southern Californian forum bros...

This is for RiffRaff, GoMano, Gearjoneser, Ankalar, Curly, etc... (sorry if i missed you in the crowd).

Where can i find a good guitar repair/luthier shop that will take a guitar with a regular 2-point style trem and rework it for a Floyd Rose?

If I provide the hardware for the job, how much can i expect to pay for having this done?

I usually go to The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach because they do awesome work for very fair prices however they say they don't do such radical work like that on electrics. I will not go to the Guitar Doctor (aka Doc Putillo) next to the Fountain Valley GC because he's tried to rip me off TWICE. I did go to TR Guitars once and if i remember correctly he builds custom intruments... is there anything in LA i could try?

...basically if I can add a floyd onto an EBMM SUB1 and mess with the electronics (new pickups and a coil split push/push pot) it'll be my ultimate performance guitar. I need to have this done somehow.

Re: ATTN: Question for all Southern Californian forum bros...

Tina Wood at The Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks. She's the "E" Ticket! She does lot's of name players, is reasonable, and does great work. She's done a lot of custom mods to some friends very expensive guitars that have Thorns, Melancons, McInturff's.

818-817-9566

Tell her Andy Z sent ya!
    Institute Of Noise Music Productions
    http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
    Bogner Amplification
    http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

you might try asking Brent, or who ever else is there, at Guitar Oasis, since they're not far from you and might know of a good repair person in the area

you could try asking Steve Soest in Orange ... that's probably not up his alley, but he also might know someone else who could do it
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

I don't know any offhand, besides Institute's recommendation of Tina Wood.
        I'd just call around and ask. On the other hand, I'd suggest just selling that guitar and buying a Floyd equipped guitar, or body. For the price they'll charge you to do the top and back route, which may be around $150, you could buy a new body, or let that be the difference between selling yours and buying another. I wouldn't do it, I'd just sell it and avoid a bunch of headaches.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I don't know any offhand, besides Institute's recommendation of Tina Wood.
          I'd just call around and ask. On the other hand, I'd suggest just selling that guitar and buying a Floyd equipped guitar, or body. For the price they'll charge you to do the top and back route, which may be around $150, you could buy a new body, or let that be the difference between selling yours and buying another. I wouldn't do it, I'd just sell it and avoid a bunch of headaches.
          Ummm.... sell what? I haven't even bought anything yet.

One of my guys at GC is gonna hook me up with a SUB1 for wholesale anyway so that saves a lot right there. I also contemplated buying another MIA FR Classic Strat (my GC has one thats like the one I've already got but trans blue flame top, and HSS) and getting a warmoth neck for it but the neck on those guitars are already really nice (bigger than the SUB neck but still a killer neck) plus i don't get the smaller body or the contoured heel.

So I opted to fix up the sub1 (with a trem) for a Floyd rather than screw with a good quality strat and still not get everything i wanted.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming cuz i haven't heard from everyone yet.

Comment

try my old guitar teacher been in the buisness since way before I was born...
            excellent prices and honest. His name is Gary Erickson of Erickson guitars
            Builders of Fine Quality Guitars Bass and Musical Instrument Accessories

good luck.

chris
            "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll check these out.

Comment

I think Neal Moser is also pretty near to OC as well

Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I second "The Amp Shop"
                  "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

Working...
                  X