SS vs. Modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SS vs. Modeling

Peavey and Randall have some real kick ass SS amps. It's not like every tube amp out there sounds great... IMHO digital things can never sound really organic.

Comment

i know 4 differen't guitarists that have 1/2 stack peavy ss's... they have great tone at low volume but soon as you go up in volume they go to udder crap. but thats just what i hear...

so to me what's the point in having a 1/2 stack if your only gonna run it at low volume to get a good sound?

i haven't tried the XXL and maybe they have made great leaps in quality i will see
      boreddddddddddd

Comment

I've been a tube only guy since day one, at the NAMM show in January I was walking by the Kustom display and a guy was demoing a WAV amp, not a modeling amp per sey but the clean channel (with a little reverb) was very fender twinish and the crunch channel was very marshally with the gain cranked. I found a dealer locally who had one in stock, I think I was there every other day for a couple of weeks playing through the amp and comparing it with other tube amps he had in stock. Needless to say I wound up buying the amp - it has four individually programable channels (effects only) for the clean, overdrive and a boost channel for the overdrive channel for leads. The amp does have it's drawbacks, you can't program the drive selections for each channel - the pre amp and power amps are analog. But one of the things I like was the tube overdrive, it uses a 12AX7 tube for two of the drive selections - I popped in a NOS RCA blackplate in their and the drive is very blackfacish on the "classic" setting - anyhow, I guess my point is SS amps have come a long way in the last few years, to the point where if your playing a small club and you don't want to haul around a tube amp with a bunch of effects pedals the modeling and other SS amps with built in effects have much to offer.

Comment

Roland VG88 ... I'll be posting a song I'm working on for a tribute CD when it's complete. All of the guitar tracks are VG88 and my ESP M1 Tiger.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X