• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    TwilightOdyssey
    Darkness on the edge of Tone

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied
    Re: SS vs. Modeling

Roland VG88 ... I'll be posting a song I'm working on for a tribute CD when it's complete. All of the guitar tracks are VG88 and my ESP M1 Tiger.

Leave a comment:

• RiffRaff
    Toneologist

• RiffRaff
    replied

I've been a tube only guy since day one, at the NAMM show in January I was walking by the Kustom display and a guy was demoing a WAV amp, not a modeling amp per sey but the clean channel (with a little reverb) was very fender twinish and the crunch channel was very marshally with the gain cranked. I found a dealer locally who had one in stock, I think I was there every other day for a couple of weeks playing through the amp and comparing it with other tube amps he had in stock. Needless to say I wound up buying the amp - it has four individually programable channels (effects only) for the clean, overdrive and a boost channel for the overdrive channel for leads. The amp does have it's drawbacks, you can't program the drive selections for each channel - the pre amp and power amps are analog. But one of the things I like was the tube overdrive, it uses a 12AX7 tube for two of the drive selections - I popped in a NOS RCA blackplate in their and the drive is very blackfacish on the "classic" setting - anyhow, I guess my point is SS amps have come a long way in the last few years, to the point where if your playing a small club and you don't want to haul around a tube amp with a bunch of effects pedals the modeling and other SS amps with built in effects have much to offer.

Leave a comment:

• Chi3f
    Ultimate Tone Member

• Chi3f
    replied

i know 4 differen't guitarists that have 1/2 stack peavy ss's... they have great tone at low volume but soon as you go up in volume they go to udder crap. but thats just what i hear...

so to me what's the point in having a 1/2 stack if your only gonna run it at low volume to get a good sound?

i haven't tried the XXL and maybe they have made great leaps in quality i will see

Leave a comment:

• Nightburst
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• Nightburst
    replied

Peavey and Randall have some real kick ass SS amps. It's not like every tube amp out there sounds great... IMHO digital things can never sound really organic.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    Mojo's Minions

• papersoul
    replied

I own a Vetta II head and love it. I couldn't get into the Peavey solid state amps.

Leave a comment:

• Pandemonium
    Ultimate Tone Member

• Pandemonium
    replied

We auditioned and hired a new guitar player for our band Thursday night. He was playing a Peavey Transformer 212, and I gotta tell you, I was very impressed with him and the the amp. He was getting PDG sounding heavy distortion with gobs of feedback at low volume, and the crunch and cleans were nice too, especially the cleans. What I heard of the effects sounded ok too. His sound meshed really well with my JCM 800 and we really hit it off musically. But back to my point, you can knock Peavey if you want, but they make some pretty good sounding stuff for the money IYAM.
    Pandemonium
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Last edited by Pandemonium; 04-03-2004, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shred-dog
    Toneologist

• shred-dog
    replied

vox tonelab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Metal Massacre

• Metal Massacre
    replied

I actually prefer SS to tube. I tend to get more low end response from SS. However I have to admit that the 5150 is still a kick ass amp. Randalls are awesome too. I have solid state Marshall that I'm pretty happy with.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    Joyfulnoiseologist

• Hoss
    replied

you can't go wrong with a tech 21 (120 in my case) or a valvetronix!!!

i love my 120...3 channels...models the ones that count...fender-marsall-mesa...and is just overall well built and great sounding amp...of couse i haven't played alot of amps (ignorance is bliss...LOL)...i've played several though...and i scored my 120 for $500 bucks used, that was a steal!!!

Leave a comment:

• Farkus
    Super Toneologist

• Farkus
    replied

Originally posted by LesStrat
    Of the two, I prefer L6 for the tonal variety. But don't sell peavey short. Solid, roadworthy gear. Built by musicians for working musicians.
    I agree. If I were playing a lot of shows back to back, I wouldn't have a second thought about Peavey gear. I do wish it were a little better sound quality in the lower end of their market though. A 5150 head or combo is high end and sounds better than many of the Marshalls I've owned, IMHO. For high gain, I love that amp. I've heard good things about the XXL as well, but I've never used one. I've liked the Line6 amps that I've heard, but I haven't checked out the vetta 2, the vetta 1 was ok.

Farkus

Leave a comment:

• LesStrat
    Reining PunLowered

• LesStrat
    replied

Of the two, I prefer L6 for the tonal variety. But don't sell peavey short. Solid, roadworthy gear. Built by musicians for working musicians.

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    BadHairDayologist

• Empty Pockets
    replied

I like Randall amps, a lot. I've been thinkin of gettin one of those 200 watt half stacks from Musician's Friend 'cuz it's like $750 for just a loud distortion amp.

Leave a comment:

• Burkwieser
    Tone Member

• Burkwieser
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    I like modeling amps more than most solid state amps. I mean modeling amps
    ARE solid state amps, so why not have a digital preamp rather than a stale
    transistor preamp trying it's best to emulate a tube. There's a few exceptions
    but I find the Vox Valvetronix AD60 or 120, and the Flextone and Vettas,
    to be much better sounding amps than any solid state amp I've played.
    Gearjoneser next time you stop at a music store, just for giggles try a Randall Cyclone. Not a bad SS. I have tried the other lines of Randall SS amps, and to be kind they sound to digitally. The MTS series are incredible though. I use two RM4's and a RT2/50. I love the versatility and being able to replace tubes easily.

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    Gear Ho

• Gearjoneser
    replied

I like modeling amps more than most solid state amps. I mean modeling amps
    ARE solid state amps, so why not have a digital preamp rather than a stale
    transistor preamp trying it's best to emulate a tube. There's a few exceptions
    but I find the Vox Valvetronix AD60 or 120, and the Flextone and Vettas,
    to be much better sounding amps than any solid state amp I've played.

Leave a comment:

• JfromHouston
    Tone Member

• JfromHouston
    replied

I use L6 amps and am very happy with them. I hear good thinks about the Tech21 too. I would also mention Vox Valvetronix.

J

Leave a comment:

Working...
X