max clean headroom power tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max clean headroom power tubes

ok i got the svetlanas, but the amp seems to be biased too hot for them, and its fixed bias so i cant set it colder. I need a power tube that does not generate lots of gain, im sure theres an ideal headroom power tube out there for this application. The 5881's in their prime had plenty of headroom, i want to find other tubes with more clean headroom.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: max clean headroom power tubes

Look into 6550's or KT88's . I believe they will give you more headroom.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I've noticed that Svets run pretty hot, when popped in to replace most other brands.
      If you can't bias them because it's a fixed bias, or the bias pot doesn't have enough travel to dial them in, moving over to JJ's will solve it. I've run into that before, and the JJ's fall into a more normal range. They also have a glassier and cleaner headroom than the Svets, which compress faster.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        [JJ's] also have a glassier and cleaner headroom than the Svets, which compress faster.
        That would probably explain why I prefer Svets over JJ's ...
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

thanks everyone. And by the way, does the reissue '65 BF twin have a bias pot? im aiming for one right now and i need to know if it does so i can throw in some good tubes when i get it.

and would you guys reccomend buying an original on ebay, DOA for less and having it repaired to spec, or just getting the new reissue?
          2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
          X