banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do players play through soo much gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why do players play through soo much gear?

Aren't good rackmount units all true bypass?
    I will get myself a nice rack unit in time. Equalizer, noise gate, tuner, backup rackmount amp, midi switch, backup pre-amp. Nothing over the top IMHO.
    Options is the word.

Comment

i can't get good sounds out of so much gear. I like the way my guitar sounds withs a good 1x12 combo and i will keep it that way. I might get an ab box and use two amps sometime soon but still nothing too fancy.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

if you load the gear yourself you won't have a NASA rack . but the flashing light look pretty !!!!!!!!!!!!! K.I.S.S
        Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
        Suhr OD-50
        Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I can see having a few effects to create more tonal variation, but if you base tone sucks, it's not going to help.

My dream rig would be-
          Jackson guitar-Cord-VHT Pitbull Ultralead head with my digitech 2101 Artist effect rack hooked in the effects loop .
          (I have everything but the VHT Halfstack)

I like a little chorus, reverb , maybe a little delay on my leads..that's about it really. A noise gate, maybe for the high gain sounds.

Plus, I have all the effects I could ever need if I EVER so desired them.

I don't see a reason to have anything beyond a SMALL rack unless you were touring and needed backups.

Comment

me, the most pedals i can see myself having are a wah-wah (allways wanted one) and to get my ts-9 fixed. just seems like i would be relying on to much to get a sound that seems "sucked up" to me, so to speak.
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
              Options, my friend, options.
              I agree with that. If you don't have too much stuff, a few rack units never hurt anything.
              Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                The thing that really kills me is the people who spend $2,000 on a high-gain head and run it clean, while getting their distortion from a $50 Boss pedal. Often they could get the very same tone just running the Boss pedal straight into the PA.
                This is very true. If you own a high-end, high-gain amp, it is meant to be PLAYED on 11!
                Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Small penis.

Note: This is designed as humor. In no way meant to offend anyone.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                  buggjuice.net
                  MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                    I'm soooooo tired of the wall of 40 Marshall cabs and only one of them has a signal (or even speakers, for that matter) in it.
                    the guy with the wall commands respect.. i don't care who you are.. its just wow if he had all those on........ I'd be dead

one day i will have a wall that will deafen the audiance
                    see the creation of this world
                    see it all reduced to ash
                    in the blink of a sunken eye
                    i see one hundred winters pass
                    my blessing, my curse
                    perpetually i'm damned to earth
                    of a soul i am bereft
                    forever dying to be dead - Black Dahlia Murders

Comment

The primary reason why so many effects are used in clubs is due to a lack of volume that you can play at. If you are playing through a Fender amp, or a Marshall that needs to be cranked to get it to sound good. Once the volume is up high enough the rest can be controlled from your guitar volume. At lower volume the effects are necessary to get the desired tone. Why the major bands use so much stuff is beyond me. I just don't think its necessary. Last summer I saw BB King with Jeff Beck. BB played straight in to a Fender Twin, Beck had 3 Marshall heads running in to 2 Cabinets. I believe he had each head set for different volume settings and different levels of gain. So again is it really necessary to have all the effects????
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Dime59hum
                        I would have one rack, with a preamp, poweramp, a cab and a pedalboard. Thats the max.

Plus a conditioner and a HUSH Super C
                        Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                        VHT 2502
                        (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                        (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                        Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                        Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                        http://www.robertkeeley.com
                        Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                        Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

I maxed out last year with the rack pictured below. 16 spaces!!! Last month I downsized to 10 space rack and a 30" x 16" pedalboard. I LOVED the tonal flexibility I had with the big rig, but moving the friggin thing wasn't helping my back any! So, I dumped a few of the rack things and replaced the space echo (occupies 4 spaces in the rack) with a second Chandler echo.

When I first got into the whole rack thing about 10 years ago it was really out of neccesity. At that time, there weren't any 4 channel amps that could go from Blackface clean to Recto crunch at the press of a botton. The bands I have been in were very diverse... so, my rig had to be as flexible as possible.

Now I'm down to this rig: Guitar>VHT Valvulator>Teese Wah>Fulltone Deja Vibe 2>Ibanez Flanger>Sobbat Phase shifter>Fulltone Ultimate Octave>Fulltone Supa Trem>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Pharaoh Amps Class A Booster>Randall RM4 Preamp>Rocktron HUSH>Lexicon Reverb>2 Chandler Stereo Echos>Rockman Stereo Chorus>VHT 2502 Stereo Power Amp>2 Bogner 2x12's

This is still a bit much... but, it's really what I need to play the variety of tunes my band covers and some of the original stuff we do.

I also have a very simple rig that I use when we're playing a place where I don't need all the bells and whistles consisting of a 1960's 50 watt EL34 head, an Echoplex, and a 4x12.

Here is the ouit of control rack that I've since trimmed down to 10 spaces...
                          (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I find that the music I'm playing dictates what (if any) effects I use.

For example, if I'm playing 70's Classic Rock or Blues I'll use just my Wah and G2D Custom Overdrive as a boost to either my Marshall JCM800 or JTM60.

If I'm playing original material where I have a bit more freedom in what sounds I can use then I might also use my Whammy pedal, Chorus, EQ (for weird guitar sounds) Big Muff and Delay to create more guitar sounds than I would if playing cover songs.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X