Review - Red Witch Moon Phaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - Red Witch Moon Phaser

Here's a review I posted up on another board, I figured I'd stick it here as well.

---------------

*UPDATE*

Ok, spent some more time with it, and I have some more of it figured out. I'm now using it in the loop of my Rectifier, where I've not yet detected any clipping (unlike just about every other effect I stick in there ). The backround noise you typically hear from a phaser seems a little more noisy in the loop, but it's still very quiet.

Basically;

Velocity
    Left - Fast
    Right - Slow

Trajectory
    Left - Notch Filter
    Up - Throb
    Right - Shimmer

The closer you are to the 12:00 position the more "throb" the phaser has, and as you move closer to the right you get a more shimmery, subtle sort of sound. I haven't messed with the left very much as it's sorta boring.

Cosmology
    1. Tremolo,
    2. Phaser 1,
    3. Tremophase 1,
    4. Phaser 2,
    5. Tremophase 2,
    6. Phaser 3.

The tremolo setting is kinda cool. I've tried tremolo before and never really liked it, but this one's pretty smooth, and at it's fastest settings adds a cool shimmer to your sound that reminds me of an old Fender amp.

Phaser 1 is the most subtle, and has that classic phase sound. Phase 2 is a more in your face phase, which is capable of a UniVibe-ish sound when the Trajectory is in the "throb" position. Phase 3 is the most in your face.

I like phase 1 as it adds some chime to your clean sound, and when the Trajectory knob is turned to "shimmer" it's barely noticable, yet it somehow makes my cleans sound more clean.

I like Phase 2 as it gives you that phasy sort of swirl in the "shimmer" setting, and a quasi-UniVibe sound in the "throb" settings.

I don't really like phase 3 at this time. It's a little too messy sounding, but it works well modulating feedback.

The Tremophase 1 and 2 postions combine the Tremolo with the corresponding phase. The tremolo is not as strong in the Tremophase mode than it is in the strait Tremolo mode.

On fast settings the Tremophase is great for lead work. For chord work I found I prefer it set slow with more "shimmer" than "throb". When I used the same settings on Tremophase 2 as I did to get that UniVibe-ish sound on Phase 2 it made for an interesting combo, as the tremolo's throb is lined up with the phasers throb, which made it unusually deep sounding.

Although you can get a good "Vibe" sound out of it, it's much more linear sounding than a normal UniVibe, and throbs closer to that of a Rotovibe.

Overall, a very tonefull and very useful pedal. I give it a smilely.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: Review - Red Witch Moon Phaser

Price?
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
      Price?
      245USD. I paid 210CAD, but I traded some sh*t in as well.

Official Website for Red Witch Analog Pedals. We build beautiful analog guitar effects pedals for the worlds great guitar players.

Comment

Yet another great boutique pedal from my city. Maybe there's something in the water supply...
        Originally posted by Jolly
        ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
          Yet another great boutique pedal from my city. Maybe there's something in the water supply...
          Who else makes stuff there?

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about one of these for some time now.
            Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
            www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Working...
            X