Question for the luthiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the luthiers

Hey guys, when slotting a nut for 10-46 gauge strings, what gauge file should I use for each string? I can't find files that match each string gauge, should I just use the next highest size for each slot? I've found 10, 13, 26, and 36 gauge files, but I can't find 17 or 46. Should the slots exactly match the string gauge, or can they be a tiny bit wider? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Question for the luthiers

I use a jewler's file That I got(of all place's)Radio shack. You can also use
    the old round wound string in a bind.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I was thinking about ordering one of the nut slotting tools. Basically, I don't want want to spend $100 on a set of gauged nut files, when I'll probably only need to use them a few times.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

What i forgot to say is the round jewler's file is tapered. So you only use
        the part that matches the string gauge. I only cut 2 or 3 nuts a year, So
        it dosen't pay for me to get pro tools ( I'd like em tho ) with a X-acto
        saw, jewlers files and a dremel tool I do O.k. Ya just gotta take more time
        and buy extra nuts in case ya spoil one.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Ryan - I've had some success using files a bit smaller than the string diameter. You can always make the slot a little bit wider, but you can't make it narrower once it's cut. I keep a set of the ends of old strings handy to get the width & depth just right.

Here's a great tutorial on making a nut from Frets.com. Hope it helps.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
          X