Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attenuator questions...need advice!

Hi all!

I'm currently living in an apartment. For the last year or so, I've only been able to use my Line6 POD because my Marshall JCM 2000 is just TOO LOUD. Here's what I need to know...will a speaker attenuator allow me to get good high gain tones without peeling some paint (at bedroom style volume)? I just need a serious break from the Line6 tones. The JCM sounds like dooky at the voulmes I'm talking about. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Farkus
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Re: Attenuator questions...need advice!

An attenuator should get you the tones you're looking for, however it affects the sound a bit, some more than others.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321
      An attenuator should get you the tones you're looking for, however it affects the sound a bit, some more than others.
      Are you familiar with any of the brands? I've heard that the Webers are good as well as Marshall Power Brakes...any comments?

Farkus

Comment

Weber is probably the best bargain. Lots of people bad mouth Power Brakes, I've had one for 20 years and it sounds pretty good to me, but if I had to replace it I'd go with something cheaper, either Weber or THD.

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
          Are you familiar with any of the brands? I've heard that the Webers are good as well as Marshall Power Brakes...any comments?

Farkus
          I have read about 3 failures with the PB and 100 watt heads in the past 4 or 5 months. Up in a puff of smoke. The Weber and THD Hotplate are both superior sonically and in terms of durability to the PB. The PB was a great improvement over the Tom Sholtz thingy but since that time there have been much better products made. The PB has a good deal more sonic coloration that the Weber or THD offerings. I love my Mass, I use it daily.
          ]
          FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I have read about 3 failures with the PB and 100 watt heads in the past 4 or 5 months. Up in a puff of smoke. The Weber and THD Hotplate are both superior sonically and in terms of durability to the PB. The PB was a great improvement over the Tom Sholtz thingy but since that time there have been much better products made. The PB has a good deal more sonic coloration that the Weber or THD offerings. I love my Mass, I use it daily.
            Ok. Here's another pertainent question then. If I get the Weber 100 watter, it will be ok with a 50 watt amp too, right? If it acts like a true speaker load, like it says on the web site, I know that shouldn't be a problem, but I'm asking because I have zero experience...just in case.

Thanks!

Farkus

Comment

Yes, it'll be ok. I should add that my Marshall is a 50 watter. I've run it on 10 for 20 years into the PB with no problems whatsoever. I rarely attenuate more than one or two clicks, three at the absolute most. It doesn't sound all that hot at bedroom levels, but at two clicks [8db] it rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium
                Yes, it'll be ok. I should add that my Marshall is a 50 watter. I've run it on 10 for 20 years into the PB with no problems whatsoever. I rarely attenuate more than one or two clicks, three at the absolute most. It doesn't sound all that hot at bedroom levels, but at two clicks [8db] it rocks.

Cool dude, that about settles it...I'm gonna get the attenuator. I'm thinking that the Weber looks good. I saw on the website that he has some extra options/alterations that he makes to them (like treble boost). Any suggestions about this, in other words, do I need this or any of the add ons, esp if I'm spending $170 anyway?

Farkus

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                  Hi all!

I'm currently living in an apartment. For the last year or so, I've only been able to use my Line6 POD because my Marshall JCM 2000 is just TOO LOUD. Here's what I need to know...will a speaker attenuator allow me to get good high gain tones without peeling some paint (at bedroom style volume)? I just need a serious break from the Line6 tones. The JCM sounds like dooky at the voulmes I'm talking about. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
                  Farkus
                  A friend of mine had the same problem, couldn't crank the amp in the apartment. He bought the attenuator made by Trainwreck, I can't remember the name of it but he loves it! He said it has only two knobs with a three position "Bedroom volume level" control.

Comment

Working...
                  X