DSL owners!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL owners!!

Well, I finally got my DSL back this afternoon and spent 2 hours giving it a good workout. I had screwed the tranny up and the guy replaced it with a larger JTM-something transformer, and it sounds more open and plexi like, and also put new power tubes in. It sounds PHENOMINAL. Better than any DSL I've ever heard. Sounds so pure and just so marshall. The highs have been really enhanced too. Sounds great guys, I would rather have not had to spend $300 on it, but it almost would have been worth it.

But anyway, I have a couple of questions.

The Standby switch . . . do you switch it off or leave it on while you're letting it cool down? cos when its off it heats the tubes right, so that would defeat the purpose of letting it cool down.

Second: I'm using my line 6 mm4 and it sounds perfect on the first channel but not so good on the second (this is not in the effects loop), and on the 2nd channel it sounds horrible in conjunction with wah, or at least the univibe does. So I put it in the effects loop and you cant hear much difference on the 1st channel but it sounds clearer on the second, but colors the tone too much, just makes it really dominant on the sound. Do you guys have similar issues with the effects in the loop?
    Last edited by Spoonman; 04-03-2004, 08:37 PM. Reason: to make title more broad
    Fender Classic 60's Strat
    Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
    DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
    Vox V848 wah
    Line 6 MM-4
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Re: DSL owners!!

Also, when switching on, do you flip both switches and wait a minute before switching the standby switch to 'off' to heat the tubes, or do you leave it on as soon as you turn the mains power switch on.
    Fender Classic 60's Strat
    Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
    DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
    Vox V848 wah
    Line 6 MM-4
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

Hey Spoonman.

Well, I always thought that the purpose of the standby was to heat the tubes up before you slammed them with input (your guitar signal). I read that it will extend the life of the tubes if you warm them up first. Secondly, I never do it, but I also read that when you turn it off, you can just flip the power and standby off at the same time, as the purpose of the standby is to either warm up the tubes or keep them ready for action (like during a beer/soda break during a gig/practice). I always flip the standby, wait 5 minutes and then power down.

Secondly, I'd like to know what your tech did to the amp. I've been trying to get my DSL modded to be a little smoother, more plexi like and less buzzy. I e-mailed David Bray, but he doesn't work on the DSL right now. It'd be awesome if you could get more info on what was done, b/c I'm not using my DSL now because it's: 1. too loud 2. too buzzy. I'm getting an attenuator, but I'd like to make this baby a little smoother too.

About the effect loop...I wish you could adjust that thing. I have the same problem with my chorus (too much of a good thing). Maybe the extra gain on channel 2 is the problem. I'm not much on effects, so I'll let the gurus on here help you out with this one. But you may have to repost as many of them may not use DSL's and I'm sure this isn't necessarily an issue limited to them.

Farkus
      Last edited by Farkus; 04-03-2004, 08:15 PM.
      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

These guys are awesome: www.voodooamps.com

check out their DSL mod, unreal

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          These guys are awesome: www.voodooamps.com

check out their DSL mod, unreal
          Pretty cool site. I wish they had sound clips of the DSL (TSL clips only-I think the amps sound pretty different out of the box so probably would sound different when modded). I've actually heard of these guys. Overall, looks pretty impressive-thanks Xeromus!

Farkus

Comment

I only live 2 hours from those guys. A friend of mine got his DSL 50 modded by them. The thing is a freakin' monster now.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
              I only live 2 hours from those guys. A friend of mine got his DSL 50 modded by them. The thing is a freakin' monster now.
              I was thinking about the mod, but it's $400 bucks and I've never heard their work. Plus, I'm in Texas, so I couldn't go check them out. Did your friend have the standard mod done?

I take it you like the 'monster' tone though

Comment

Spoonman- Did you go to Ferg's?

Comment

Working...
                X