Hate nosy bandmates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate nosy bandmates

well, me and the band jammed today from 1pm till 7. It was a good practice. We put our stuff away and walked to the closest burger king, then came back. For some reason my drummer insisted on carrying my peavey classic 50 outside for me. I figured it was a favor and it turned out to be a nightmare.

When he went to plug it in, he was grabbing around the inside of the amp behind the speakers and as he got the power cord, he disconnected the speaker cable. When he turned it on i wondered why it didnt play, until i looked at the back.

I presume the lack of load blew the tubes, could this have damaged any other part of the amp? Fuse did not blow, i have the correct ampage on the fuse. Any advice?

Oh and on another note-is it worth it to retube this amp for 40 bucks, or save the money and shell out 500 for a deluxe reverb? Would a deluxe be powerful enough for jams with a medium volume drummer?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Hate nosy bandmates

Your output transformer could be fried.

Comment

fu<kin drummers.

the head of the drummer could be caved in from your fist...

Comment

if i were you i'd make him pay to fix it
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
          if i were you i'd make him pay to fix it
          +1000

Comment

His Insurance should pay for it, as it was an honest mistake but definitely his fault
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I dont think he has insurance for that kind of stuff, but I think im going to have to make him pay for it, as had he not insisted on carrying my stuff (which i strongly objected against), nothing would have happened.

It'd be kind of like if I were carrying his drums and I accidentally broke all of his heads. (not likely, but it would be closer to the monetary value of a new transformer, tubes, and labor for my amp)

Should i bother fixing the amp, or should i just get a quote for its repair and make him pay that towards a new fender deluxe reverb? (at GC where he gets a hefty discount)
              My other guitarist also plans on getting a deluxe, so i figure if we buy 2 at the same time, we can get an even bigger discount(obviously).
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

NEVER let a drummer touch your stuff ! I learned this the hard way. I let
                the drummer put my twin in his van. He decieded it would fit better if he
                turned it on it's side? Some A-hole cut him off ,he slamed on the
                brakes. CRASH !! The next day he calls me up and tells me what happen.
                then he asks me `Did you have a beer bottle in the back of your Amp ?
                There's all this broken glass in my van'
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                  sorry for your loss man, but i simply cannot stop laughing at this

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                    Yea, seems like i learned this the hard way too, but the worst part is that he really really insisted on carrying it and that's what makes me so angry! I would never insist on carrying someone else's 60 pound 2x12 combo, i only help him with his set because it has so many parts and im extremely careful with drums.

I'm just gonna have to slam em with the bill, its not exactly slamming him but he has to pay his dues for screwing up my equipment and pretty much cancelling all of my future gigs and practices until further notice.

Comment

Aah... damn that's a tough one. He only wanted to help you. Do you really think that's what he wanted ? I doubt he was aware of unplugging the speakers can damage an amp, its only a drummer after all !!

Maybe you could split 50-50 ? Talk with him. You'll see. I think your OT is fried if the amp doesnt work right now. The OT is the "link" between tubes and speaker(s) after all.

Id go with the DR if I was you.
                      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

yea im not gonna dump any more cash on this money sucker. That's really all the peavey's done for me recently-no headroom, muddy power tube distortion, why pay more to play something that just doesnt deliver.

i heard some horror stories on the DR, like cracked PCB's and a lack of longevity-is this something to be worried about.

Comment

Really ? I never heard such things about the DR RI... you should start a thread at http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html ... lots of DR RI owners there and tech... try them!
                          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                            yea im not gonna dump any more cash on this money sucker. That's really all the peavey's done for me recently-no headroom, muddy power tube distortion, why pay more to play something that just doesnt deliver.

i heard some horror stories on the DR, like cracked PCB's and a lack of longevity-is this something to be worried about.
                            I would strongly suggest trying the mods from www.blueguitar.org before dumping the Classic 50. In addition, I recommend a set of JJ preamp tubes, with a set of JJ EL84 power tubes with a #36 rating. My Classic 50 is certainly not muddy or lacking headroom.

Ryan
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

His fault but you gotta know to shut down right away and make sure you have a load on the amp when there's no sound coming out.

Comment

Working...
                              X