banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone replaced the tube in their Valvetronix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone replaced the tube in their Valvetronix?

If so, any recommendations on brand/type? I know it's a 12ax7,but anything else that will fit that may sound better than a 12ax7 too??

Also how difficukt is the dang thing to access? I have the 50 watt combo.

I've used Groove Tubes before and thought they sounded much better than the tubes that came stock in Various Marshalls, Jacksons, Fenders, etc.. but I've never experimented with other brands.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Has anyone replaced the tube in their Valvetronix?

I changed the tube in my TonelabSE - I can't comment on how to change it in the valvetornix but it wasn't easy on the tonelabse. As for how it effects the sound - I don't think it made any change at all - the tube is only used as a means to emulate a signal through a class A or AB amp, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the gain levels of the amps being modeled at least that I could tell, I've tried out a nos telefunken ecc82 and an ecc83, rca blackplate 12ax7, rca blackplate 5751 (very low gain), JJ ecc83 & ecc82 and tested them against each other - I recorded into my computer using the same patches on different tracks and I'll bounce around between them - no difference in what I can hear. Plugged into my Peavey 50/50 classic tube head and an avatar 2x12 cabinet I couldn't hear the difference either. I left the JJ in just because they've been very reliable for me in the past. Mine came with an EH12AX7 which is a pretty good tube - if you like the way the amp sounds don't mess with it, if you don't like the way the amp sounds your going to get more out of tweeking the existing settings to find what you like than you will out of swapping the tube around.

Comment

It has 1 12AX7 right? I don't think it will have much of an impact on tone at all, at least that's the case in my Cambridge. I've put in a few different tubes and the tone didn't really change enough for me to notice.

Comment

right, only a single 12AX7 - what this tube does is emulate a power tube section, at one watt, as such it doesn't get driven hard enough to emulate power tube distortion (that's all done via the solid state circuits) as such even a cheap no name tube can be used and will sound the same as the most expensive tube you can pop in.

Comment

Originally posted by RiffRaff
          right, only a single 12AX7 - what this tube does is emulate a power tube section, at one watt, as such it doesn't get driven hard enough to emulate power tube distortion (that's all done via the solid state circuits) as such even a cheap no name tube can be used and will sound the same as the most expensive tube you can pop in.
          Thats what I figured, but I read somehwere (Harmony -Central, maybe) where some had replaced them and noticed a positive improvement. Damn thing sounds good as is..except for the crappy UK70's mode..nowhere close to my 1987..

I goosed the JCM 800 mod last night with my super-overdrive..OH MY!

I am really starting to love this Valvetronix stuff....for the most part it's EXTREMELY good, and this is coming from a tube snob. The only issues I have is the detents for the amp/effect switching are not positive enough...sometimes if you are not careful you can get stuck between settings and it sounds horrid.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
          X