Weber MASS vs. THD Hot Plate etc....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber MASS vs. THD Hot Plate etc....

Im looking for the best attentuator around that keeps the sound of the amp, just makes it A LOT less loud! The the block is starting to get pissed off at me cranking up my amp in the garage all the time and i think im gunna cut em a brake . These are the two that keep popping up as the best, what do you think? And which one is cheaper? All of this guitar stuff is leaving me pretty low on cash these days...
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: Weber MASS vs. THD Hot Plate etc....

So far as I know the Weber is the less expensive unit...and few reviews have pointed out much difference between it and the hot plate.

From what I remember:
    The Weber uses a true speaker load
    The HotPlate....doesn't. I forget exactly how that works though.

The HotPlate got its name for a reason: under long usage and high attenuation, it gets VERY warm.

Both seem to be very good units from reputable companies. I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either.

Comment

Most all attenuators but the weber have high voltage resistors that drop the current down and the resistors have to be fan cooled too keep them from overheating and burning out.

The weber is a great design because it uses a speaker driver and no cone, therefore it is silent but makes perfect sense.

Comment

The Hot Plate works very, very well. I used one with my SLO-100 for quite some time. The only I sold it is because I had the SLO on the market. I will most likely buy another on in the near future.

Stevo has used the Weber MASS quite extensively. Perhaps he will chime in.
        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Both are supposed to be really good, but which one sounds better at the end of the day for using quite a bit of attentuation? And whats with the EQ on the Weber MASS, if it doesnt change the EQ then why does it really need it? And were can i get a Hot Plate online? Are the MASS's only available direct online?
          EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Originally posted by Maximusgordon 2.0
            Both are supposed to be really good, but which one sounds better at the end of the day for using quite a bit of attentuation? And whats with the EQ on the Weber MASS, if it doesnt change the EQ then why does it really need it? And were can i get a Hot Plate online? Are the MASS's only available direct online?
            I think the point of the eq is that because at very high attenuation some highs are lost and you can make up how you see fit.

Comment

The Weber Mass is excellent with moderate attenuation. It is a little fizzy on low frequencies when you set it to max values.

Also, you don't get speaker stress/breakup when you attenuate and that's a factor.. no real replacement for volume but I use my Mass all of the time.

I don't know about the hot plate but I have heard lots of positive reviews.
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

The EQ on the MASS only applies to the DI lineout interface. The tone from your amp to the speakers does not run through that circuit. The only tweakable setting for the actual amp tone is the treble boost switch. This helps at extreme attenuation levels to restore some clarity.

Comment

Working...
                X