Bass Amplification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Amplification

I need a new bass amp. Preferably something that is simultaneously 300 watts or more and less than 600 dollars. I'm open minded, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend the Laney Richter series? I've read reviews and apparently, they're one of the loudest, most powerful low-cost bass amps on the market. I need to try one out to be sure, but it seems like quite a bargain.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Bass Amplification

I forget what the price range was, but I was very happy with a Carvin red-eye I tried out over the summer. I played through the big combo with the 15" and 2 10" speakers...

Comment

I'd look first at used SWR's, Ampegs, and GK's. If it has to be less expensive than that, you really can't beat the Peavey bass amps. The loudest, best sounding, cheapest amp ever made is the Peavey Megabass. Search the used market for one of those. The T Max isn't far behind. Luckily, good bass heads seem to be much cheaper than equivalent guitar heads. Good luck.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone else?
        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Don't forget to checkout Hartkie's They make a 300watt combo (I think in your$range)
          My Bassist uses a Kickback 15. Only 90 watts but it's LOUD !!
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Thanks, all.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I'll bring this up ONE more time.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

FWIW - I use the Laney B2 (2x10 combo) and also a 1x15 ext speaker. I don't think you can get them anymore but they push out like 750W of power should you need them. (* Just had a quick check on the Laney site and they are available, look under Support http://www.laney.co.uk/)

I tend to use my "stack" only when I need to have plenty of bottom end and if I am on a bigger stage, otherwise I just use my 2x10 combo on its own. It is an incredible animal and will take a low string bass and as it is a tube/solid state amp gets plenty of growl when you want it. I cannot think of a situation where I have not been disappointed with the sounds that you can get out of it. I use Precisions/Jazzes/Fretless and don't have any problems with it. I also use an Ashdown EB12 -120W amp which I use for small places or when I don't want to lug the big rig along. I have access to a Polytone Teeny Brute and a 12" ext cab when I am just wanting to put down some stuff either on my own or with a couple of friends.

Forget about Hartke when I upgraded my rig last year I managed to blow the speakers when trying them out in the shop.

The Richter range of amps is good but I think you might to get the 2x10 combo (R5), its nowhere near the same as my B2 but it has some good facilities. I don't know what sort of price you can get these in the US but they are not cheap in the UK.
                Normans Guitars

Comment

Nice! Thank you very much for that informative review. I keep hearing great things about Laney. I also play Fender basses and I also LOVE power and low-end. Thanks for the info.
                  - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Yorkville amps sound great. I know, I know, Yorkville who? I thought the same thing. Do yourself a favor, and play thru one. Great value as well.

Comment

if you love power & low end for cheap, go with a Kustom IV bass head. Oh you could get a Kustom III head, that's what I use. the IV is about 300 watts and the III is about 140 watts. They're amazing sounding, well built and are usually pretty cheap. I'd suggest getting a 70's model, since they just plain look better. I picked my head up for $120, cabinet wise, I'd go with a Fender Bassman 115b and a 410b cab, that is an AMAZING sounding amp setup. Also, Hartke & SWR 4X10's work great with the Kustom heads. here's a site with some Kustom info:

sending a PM if you have any specific questions regarding the Kustom III
                      Last edited by Indie P Bass; 04-05-2004, 09:17 PM.
                      You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Thanks, Indie.
                        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Two words: Gallien Kruger

The GK 700RB or the GK 1001RB or 1001RB2 are about the best bang for your buck
                          Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by Byakhee00
                            Two words: Gallien Kruger

The GK 700RB or the GK 1001RB or 1001RB2 are about the best bang for your buck
                            Those are some good sounding amps, one of my best freinds has a 2x10 combo, that, when hooked up to his 15' extension cab, pushes 540 watts. Really great sound, but it has some slight problems pushing out the volume when you REALLY crank it up... but it'll still get pretty darn loud. I'd reccomend them, but i don't know just a whole lot about bass gear.
                            '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                            Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                            '66 Fender Bassman
                            Fender Champion 600
                            Fender Stage 100

Comment

Another vote for Carvin here. I played Carvin bass amps for years and never got nothing but compliments on my sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X