banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting $900 back from IRS to play with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting $900 back from IRS to play with...

The Lite Ash Strat is top of the list of things to buy at the moment. But what should I add to my evil little list?

I've been thinking of getting a GNX-3 to muck about with as well. Seems like a neat and versatile toy. I actually have a good enough tube amp and I don't have room for an amp farm here. My floor processor is an RP-6 and that isn't cutting it anymore. I can't get the sounds I want from it and I think it needs changing out for something with a faster processor and more flexibility. Something with modeling capability sounds nice to me. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Re: Getting $900 back from IRS to play with...

bank it until you find something that you really really want, not just gas.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

The strat isn't just GAS. I've been wanting a strat like that practically since I started playing guitar. I would have purchased a Mary Kay reissue strat if I had to or made a custom Warmoth creation, but now I can buy the lite ash strat for cheap comparitively. The remainder will go to something to help me achieve more satisfying and versatile sounds. I can't collect amps (though I want to) because I have no room for them. I need something small with a lot of different sounds. A modeling floor processor sounds like a natural choice (aka not gas per se). The tube screamer I purchased and modified and the John Deere yellow strat with the tortise pickguard were both GAS driven purchases. They are both cool, but I'd sell them in a heartbeat to aquire the strat in particular. The other floor unit isn't as critical, but it would be very nice and I think it would fuel my playing a bit more than the RP-6 does.

Comment

Oohhh, that's some sweet news. First off, what's the price of that Strat?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
          Oohhh, that's some sweet news. First off, what's the price of that Strat?
          Dunno yet, but I should be able to get it for under $599. I think I can get the GNX3 for $339 from Musicbuy. It's listed as a B version. I don't know what that means, but if it's a blem I'll take it.

Comment

Save your money on the GNX3 and get the GNX2. The only thing the GNX3 adds is on-board recording, and a computer can do a better job at that.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

It does have one patch for a bass simulator that I want that doesn't come with the GNX2. Also the price difference is only $40 between the two.

Comment

I used the octave feature as a bass simulator on the GNX2. Worked OK for me.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

Man try the BOSS ME-50. The effects kill anything Digitech has ever done.

Comment

The ME-50 got lukewarm reviews from HC. Some good and some bad. The more informed reviews seemed to generally like the box, but few seemed to really love the sounds they were getting with it. Most said it was not bad. None of the users said "MAN THIS THING BLEW ME AWAY!!" Most just said it was "pretty good". I'm looking for something that will blow my mind and open up options not previously available to me. My RP-6 is already "not bad".

Comment

For floor modeling processors IMO you can't beat the Boss GT-6. It's has a larger learning curve than some of the others from what I hear, but now that I know how to tweak it just a little, I love it. Has some killer models, all of which you can run thru 5 different speaker sims (1x10 to 8x12), some great clean models and distortion models, all of the standard boss pedals programmed in + others like the Rat, Tubescreamer, Guvnor and more. Also has one of the best acoustic sim's I've heard. It has one fretless bass model that's very decent. I do wish it had a slightly better bass model...but thats it. Each patch can have 2 seperate settings....so for example on my Marshall SLP patch I set the normal part to the settings I want for rythym play, then step on the CTL pedal and add a lead boost via any pedal I want.

Pretty cool little unit for $399.

The Strat Lite is a nice, nice guitar. Plays very well. I've noticed some at the Fender Forum dissing the finish on the fretboard, saying all that Fender does like that chip and flake off....not sure how valid that it. It felt very nice in my hand when I played it, and seemed to have good attention to detail. I loved the way it looked and the fact that it had duncans standard.

For a grand you could get a killer American Standard Strat used AND the effects processer....just a thought.

Let us know what you decide on.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

i dont buy ur "no room" for an amp. what amp do u currently have? if its a stack or 1/2, whats throwing another head on top, and just switchiing the two heads between the 1 cab? it looks cool as well. if you have a combo, whats stacking anohter combo on top or below it? (i guess that only works if 1 has frontmount controls). You can always make room for an amp as well...cram stuff into random corners. build shelving, etc.
                        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                        Crate VC-3112
                        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by BluesNRock87
                          i dont buy ur "no room" for an amp. what amp do u currently have? if its a stack or 1/2, whats throwing another head on top, and just switchiing the two heads between the 1 cab? it looks cool as well. if you have a combo, whats stacking anohter combo on top or below it? (i guess that only works if 1 has frontmount controls). You can always make room for an amp as well...cram stuff into random corners. build shelving, etc.
                          I guess I could buy another Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo, but what would be the point? The controls aren't front mounted. I don't think the classic 50 stacks all that well either, but I could be wrong about that. I love playing guitar, but I'm never gonna make a living at it and I'm also into other hobbies. I'm not a pro and I play for an audience of 1 (me). Given the other hobbies that take up my space and resources, I don't have the room or money for a stack or an amp farm. I could get rid of all my gun stuff and that would probably make room for at least one half stack and maybe more, but I like my gun stuff too. I could always ditch some furniture, but I like having places to put my clothes and I like having comfortable chairs to sit in. I could ditch my stereo or my TV to make room for another amp, but I like being able to watch the news and I like listening to music. Technically speaking I have room, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the things already occupying that space for another amp when I can get a floor pedal that should keep me pretty happy all by itself. If you don't believe me, fine. It's not my job to impress you or give you a tour to prove anything to you.

Comment

Working...
                          X