Help with 6l6 tubes for amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 6l6 tubes for amp

Hey everyone, now that I know that one of my power tubes are cooked I know am looking for good replacements. The amp is a Peavey Ultra Plus. I'm looking for some quality 6l6 power tubes but am not sure which brands to look at and which brands to steer clear from. Hopefully you guys can help me decide on a certain tube. Thanks in advance!

Re: Help with 6l6 tubes for amp

I'm getting ready to try some Svetlana 6L6 tubes. I've been told they are good. Mine should be here soon, so I'll post my thoughts of them as soon as I put them in. Sorry I couldnt help more.

Comment

I use Matched JJ6L6GC and I think they are awsome. Tight and crisp sounding.

I've also heard good things about Svetlana tubes but I've never had a chance to try them in my Poweramp.

I am happy with the JJs.

hope that helps,
      Duke
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

thanks for your ports guys. Is there a website where I can check out a bunch of different tubes? I've looked at Eurotubes but all they sell are JJ tubes.

Comment

I'd give Mike at KCA NOS tubes a shout. He tests all of his tubes VERY well and is a great guy to deal with. I bought a matched quad of Svet 6l6's from him and couldn't be happier. They sound great in my Powerball! As far as pre-amp tubes, NOS RFT 12ax7's are the way to go!

KCA NOS Tubes. Audio tubes for guitar amplifiers and audiophile equipment. Guitar amplifier parts, guitar amplifier tubes and guitar amp tubes 12ax7, 6v6gt, EL84, EL34, 5751, 12AY7, 6L6GC, 5AR4, GZ34, 5U4GB, Mullard Ecc83, RCA 12AX7, GE 12AY7, RCA 6L6GC, JAN Philips 7581A, RCA 6V6GT Blackplates.
          :afro:

Comment

How much would a new set of power tubes cost? I don't want to spend that much as I am a starving musician.

Comment

Try Groove Tubes - They now make NOS using the original GE equipment and they sound great!
              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I like the Svetlanas and NOS Phillips 6L6WGB.

For more info and a review of various tubes check out:
                The Best 6L6 / 6L6GC / 5881 Power Tubes Review. Check out reviews and ratings of our 6L6 and 5881 tubes.
                (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

The GT's aren't cheap either but they've received good reviews. A quartet is going to run you about $140-150 for the GT's.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I love my JJ 6L6's.

Comment

Anytime you buy tubes, either buy them from www.eurotubes.com or Doug at www.dougstubes.com

Me and other people get our tubes from Doug and hes got excellent service and he's very knowledgeable about what he does.

His prices are very good too.. the Matched pair of JJ 6L6GC are $26, and Matched Quad is $55, which are both cheaper then alot of places I've seen.

Duke
                      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

More tube reviews:

Last edited by Pandemonium; 04-05-2004, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
                          Anytime you buy tubes, either buy them from www.eurotubes.com or Doug at www.dougstubes.com

Me and other people get our tubes from Doug and hes got excellent service and he's very knowledgeable about what he does.

His prices are very good too.. the Matched pair of JJ 6L6GC are $26, and Matched Quad is $55, which are both cheaper then alot of places I've seen.

Duke
                          http://www.srs-webstore.com/ is cheaper for the quad.

Comment

Hawkman Nailed it.... If you can find old Phillips tubes, thats the way to go. I have tried Sovtek, Svetlana, Groove. They are all good, but the"OLD" phillips are the best.. Very hard to find so you may have to compromise. I like the Sovteks as my second choice. I am using them in a 69 Super, very different Amp!
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

if your amp came wit groove tubes, do you have to stick wit only buying groove tubes? (sorry i dont know much bout tubes)
                              Schecter: Diamond Series S1 PLUS (invader in bridge)
                              Squier: Bullet Special (lake placid blue, EMG81 in bridge)
                              CRATE: V-Series 50 watts (VFX5112)
                              Rogue: 50 watts (guitar amp)
                              Jasmine: S34C NEX Cutaway

Comment

Working...
                              X