G&L Guitars: thin or thick necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Guitars: thin or thick necks?

G&L guitars look amazing to me and I have considered purchasing one, but I'm not sure how they feel. Can anyone fill me in?

Are all the neck models basically the same? Are the Tele necks think like the Deluxe, Thinline or American models or thick like the Swamp Ash, Highway 1 etc?

Simply beautiful instruments...
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: G&L Guitars: thin or thick necks?

well they're not all the same

I think the legacy's shape is simular to a full "c" shape. I prefer the flatter board on the leg.spl myself. to the 7 1/4 found on the classic models. I love em .. nice size but not HUGE.

the asat necks seem to be a bit narrower in my hands ... and have more of a U shape.

both seem to have more of a vintage shape to em.

the only slim neck I've found on a G&L is on the invader series ..
    "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

Great! Thanks for the help I don't need extra thick necks on my guitars, but I do like the full C shapes. Very nice!
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

the explanation of the G & L necks is here:
        neck options

My Legacies do have a vintage feel, but with a 12" radius that's better for bending. Up till a couple years ago, I don't think neck options were as common, and most G & L's had a standard 1-5/8" nut, which was the old Fender vintage spec. My favorite Legacy, "Goldie", has a shape that's kind of between a C and a super soft V - not quite as rounded as a regular C neck, and it's very comfortable for me.
        I played a newer one Saturday, and the neck felt about the same, even though mine is a '94!

I'm kinda picky about neck shapes, so I usually have to play 'em before I buy 'em.

BTW, the standard radius on a Legacy is 12", and 7-1/2" on most ASATs.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Working...
        X