No announcement yet.

How do i determine my guitar's radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i determine my guitar's radius?

what is a guitar's radius, and how do i determine what my guitar's is? also, how do different radiuses affect how a guitar plays or sounds?

Re: How do i determine my guitar's radius?

Radius refers to the curvature of the neck. stewmac.com has some templates that you can use to determine what yours is, I'm sure the local guitar shop will have them as well. I'd be hardpressed to believe that the radius will affect how a guitar sounds, but definitely will affect the playability.
    Check this out:
    Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

when you look down a guitar neck(looking from the back of the body at the head) the arch left to right is the radius, yes, the radius can affect tone, because some radiuses buzz when you bend the strings.

Comment

Generally speaking the smaller radius fingerboards make chording easier because they conform to the "natural" curvature of the fingers. The downside is that you can
        "fret out" (hit another fret) when doing large bends. Larger radius fingerboards are better for soloing and bends.

If you buy the book "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" by Dan Erlewine (and you should) it includes plastic radius gauges.
        John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Scroll down, and print it out:

Kinman Guitar pickups will literally transform your guitar to get an almost magical experience.
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
          X