Unsoldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsoldering

I wanted to get the gold covers off of my LP stock pickups and it required some unsoldering. But the problem was that it wouldn't come off. I even used my friends 40 watt iron. Any suggestions?

Re: Unsoldering

I just read a site the other day where they used a dremel to cut the solder and remove the covers. I'm not sure why, or why a soldering iron wouldn't do it, but it should work.

Mike

Comment

Get a desoldering braid and a lot of flux!! I don't know about the dremel
      Idea? It will work, But you could do more damage than good.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I don't know why a soldering iron won't work either.

Heat it up, then get something to grab the wire with and pull it off. Simple as pie.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

the unsoldering idea will get you nowhere, i think the cover and pickup act as a heat sink, use a dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
            the unsoldering idea will get you nowhere, i think the cover and pickup act as a heat sink, use a dremel.
            Yep, with my experience, I've never been able to do it with a soldering iron.

Comment

Unfortunately, a 40w iron won't work.

Comment

I had to suck it up and buy a dremel cutting wheel. Just make sure to buy the thinest one they have. I bough one that is just slightly too thick. I cut as far as it will allow, and then GENTLY tap the joint with a flathead screwdriver to finish the cut.

I tried and tried to unsolder...doesn't work. The dremel tool will set you back about $5.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                X