banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did gibson ever make a les paul in natural top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did gibson ever make a les paul in natural top?

especially in 1979? ive never seen this top, and it looks like the paint was snaded off. im not bidding on it, just for im own personal knowledge, is this real or sanded?
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Re: did gibson ever make a les paul in natural top?

or how about this:

a 1966 gibson firebird 12-string?
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

The standard looks kinda like it was sanded. I don't know much about LPs, but I have never seen one with a natural top like that.

Comment

The top is made out of multipiece wood. I thought Gibson always used a 2 piece bookmarked top?

Comment

I suggest you check out the Smartwood series guitars Gibson put out a few years back. They were never really popular, but I know Nick Hexum from 311 used a few live.

They were to encourage the saving of the Rainforest and the environment. Their were many different types of exotic woods included and I thought they were actually pretty cool.

Also, I think the Raw Power Les Paul is exactly what you're looking for.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Actually, Gibson made a few 3 piece tops back in the 70s and I wouldn't nessessarily doubt that you are seeing the original finish as well. There were quite a few squirrelly LPs made in the 70s when Gibson was changing the specs to get manufacturing prices down.

Thats the Norlin your father warned you about.........

It's quite possibly a nice guitar, but an opening bid of $1200 is top end for what I would consider paying for that guitar. It's different, but not particularily special, IMHO.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

oo cool thanks guys....

yeah, i know about the smartwood's, but that was designed with special wood, not this wood. lol

hey robert, what about that 12-string?
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Gibson did make natural tops back then in both the standard and custom model. In the 90s they made one similar in the standard model called "raw power". I prefer the older ones with the raw maple neck, just like Zakks natural top with the red bullseye. There are a few dealers that have a bunch of these in the range from 1200 to 1600 dollars.
                57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                Baby Taylor
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah it looks like a Raw Power Standerd model.

Comment

I had a Custom with a natural maple top, and a maple neck.

Comment

My machinist buddy has one...it's awesome with the gold hardware!
                      Les Paul and others...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                      Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                      Celestion speakers
                      Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                      Too many pedals....

Comment

Gibson made the smartwoods, but the fretboard is chechen and not rosewood and looks much lighter. It also says smartwood on the truss cover and not standard. I almost bought one from Sam Ash a couple years ago.

Shop Les Paul Electric Guitars at Gibson. From the classic Les Paul Standard to the new Les Paul Studio, we've got a guitar for you.

Gibson also made a Les Paul Raw Power that has a flat satin finish. They were discontinued in 2001 and I just sold one that I owned. Very nice sounding guitar.

Shop Les Paul Electric Guitars at Gibson. From the classic Les Paul Standard to the new Les Paul Studio, we've got a guitar for you.

Gibson also made the Les Paul standard with a natural color option, it looked like the raw power except it was clear glossed instead of satin. Sorry no link. The Raw Power and the natural Standards are both regular Les Paul standards in every way and say standard on the truss cover.

Comment

Working...
                        X