Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this guitar even excist?

Hey guys,

I'm not going shopping (yet) or anything, but I've been wondering for a long time now if my dream axe is even available without me having to contact some Custom Shop. I'd really like to know this, so when I'm getting the money in the future I'll be getting it. Here are the specs:

Shape: Explorer (Kelly, Z, ML, standard, sharp, you name it!), Les Paul/Double cut (Evo or Cadillac)
    Construction: neck-thru-body, set neck (only with small-to-no heel or very good upper fret acces, I just hate it when I can't easilly reach those upper frets !)
    Body: Mahogany, Koa, Korina w/ Flamed, Quilted or Spalted top
    Neck: Maple (all), Koa, Korina (very slim, not Ibanez Wizard slim ofcourse, but not Les Paul fat, as slim as possible)
    Inlays: Anything but dots, think: blocks, trapezium etc. made of Abalone or Mother of Pearl
    Pick ups: Don't have to be good, I'll most likely be replacing them with Duncans anyway!
    Bridge: Stoptail w/ string thru body is prefered, but if not available I will take Stopbar with tailpiece
    Tuners: Not very important, but Sperzel locking tuners are prefered
    Hardware color: I'll take anything (even gold if I really have to)
    Binding: Yes if possible (creme, abalone, natural, pearloid, Ivoroid)
    Frets: 22/24 Jumbo

I especially have a hard time finding those thinner-than-usual Les Pauls necks with no heel. Most of them have Stopbars with tailpieces but I really like the string-thru-body design. Now for the most important part: MUST BE UNDER $1000 USD (ok so I wouldn't mind paying slightly more, but don't make it too much please)! I don't mind buying them off Ebay, I'd actually prefer it since it'll most likely be cheaper. The closest I saw were the Kramer Custom, Dean Z and the Jackson KE1 (which is too expensive!)

They have to excist, but I never saw them in those models, only strats.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: Does this guitar even excist?

Try looking into Hamer guitars ... sounds just like what you're describing, but I'm not too sure about the neck-thru part
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yeah I checked Hamer out, but they have those annoying heels and I could only find one or two with block inlays on ebay. I forgot to mention, I'd also like a flat ebony, perhaps maple fretboard to go.
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Check our Carvin. They have pretty massive flexibility at very reasonable prices. They make fine guitars.

Mike

Comment

If worse comes to worse, I think something like Warmoth would work great for you. The prices aren't unreasonable, like many (or should I say "most") custom places.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Gibson Explorer Pro, Jackson Custom Shop Kelly, Jackson Y2KV,,......

And I could probably think of a Dozen more within 2 minutes if I wanted to

UPS, Under 1000: Jackson SLSMG comes closest, only thing "wrong" is the shape
            Last edited by Zerberus; 04-06-2004, 01:44 PM.
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

@msawitzke: Already checked 'em out, and I couldn't agree with you more. The real problem is that I'm not too keen on strat models (and V's) anymore, as I own two strats and a rare V myself I think they filled up my appetite for those models already. They do make other shapes, but I'm not all that keen on them, though I might force myself to be if I don't have a choice . They do however charge very low prices even for a Custom Shop guitar

@Chris: Yeah I know, but I was kinda hoping there was something out there, able to furfill my guitardreams, fresh from the factory!

@Zerb: OMG that Explorer Pro is amazing, I could've wished for a smaller price tag and a higher grade top, but it looks really cool. I do however think Dean has some better looking Z's, though I'm not familiar with those necks. I know I've been considering the SLSMG quite some time now, but I really want another model shape this time, and I'm the biggest fan of Explorers and Les Pauls. If you have any other guitars, feel free to mention 'em, and that goes for everyone else as well

Thanks!

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Carvin used to make the exact same model you are describing back in the 80's. ML shaped body, neck thru construction with sperzels and your choice of either stop tailpiece or the Khaler spyder. You might try looking at ebay for one.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

There you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...715424228&rd=1

Comment

Here's another one
                    : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...716442341&rd=1

Comment

Working...
                    X