Jake E Lee's Tone SLAYS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake E Lee's Tone SLAYS!!

badlands are awesome and i wish jake would come out and rock awsome tone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
      Lemme 'splain!!

BADLANDS was formed out of ex- Ozzy and Sabbath members. They included Ray Gillen (vox), Jake E Lee (gtr), Greg Chaisson (bass), Jeff Martin (drums). They pretty much shed their metal stuff and chose to play Zepplin-inspired hard rock, with very technical solos.

The 1st album is self-titled and came out in '89. I'll never forget my older brother tossing me the CD and saying, "here's your favourite new band". How right he was!

The 2nd album was Voodoo Highway, and I personally love it, esp the song "Whiskey Dusk" and the title track.

Ray Gillen died in '93 at the age of 32, due to HIV complications. The world of rock and metal is not the same without him!!

In 2000 ('99 in Japan thru Pony Canyon), there was one posthumous Badlands release, Dusk. Jake decided not to alter the original recordings in any way, and all of the live tracks are just they way they where played in the studio when they were tracked; a testimony to great rock, to my ears, at least.

Their albums are out of print now, but do yourself a favour and track them down; WELL worth the effort!
      Yeah , Badlands were great , I was just listening to a comp. cd of theirs the other day . You didn`t mention that Eric Singer played drums on the 1st album then Jeff Martin came in for Voodoo Highway
      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Badlands was badass. I saw them at a dive bar in Brockton, MA that was half empty and I was basically standing 3 feet from Jake E. with his guitar at about my eye level. I saw him doing stuff with his thumb past the 12th fret that I am still trying to figure out.
        Gibson Les Paul Classic (C5/PG)
        Heritage H-157 (500T/JP)
        Fender American Deluxe Strat (JB/STK-S4/STK-S4)
        Franken-Tokai (Custom8/Cool Rails/Hot Rails)
        G&L ASAT Special
        Mesa Trem-o-verb DR
        Traynor YCV50 Blue

Comment

Huh I'll have to take a listen to them again. I thought Jake had terrible tone with Oz, when I saw him live it was even worse than the record but his playing was really good.

Ray was playing with some local guys for awhile and I got to see him in a small rehearsal place one night, man that cat had lungs. If you check out some of The Cult stuff Ray sings back up (err yeah, I think you might be hearing a little more than backups IMO), I think he did that for several bands he had such a classic Rock voice. Sad deal what happened to him, the wrong girl apparently came in to his life.

I'll look for the Badlands stuff for sure.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984
            Yeah , Badlands were great , I was just listening to a comp. cd of theirs the other day . You didn`t mention that Eric Singer played drums on the 1st album then Jeff Martin came in for Voodoo Highway
            Mea culpa! I stand corrected!! I'm getting forgetful in my old age!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention one other cool thing:

There is KILLER cover version of Rush's "Working Man" that came out a few years ago. The band is: Sabastian Bach (vox), Jake E Lee (gtr), Billy Sheehan (bass), and Mike Portnoy (drums) .... I think the compilation is called 'Working Man' and is available thru Magna Carta ... the track postively SCREAMS; the whole CD is amazing, actually.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I saw Badlands play a couple times. They were my favorite back in HS. Both gigs I saw were pretty full small club venues. They were a great live band. I also met the band once in a roadside diner near Sacramento. They looked pretty spun out, but they were really nice and funny as hell!
                Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
                X