banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tones from different strat wood combos/sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tones from different strat wood combos/sources?

I'm not a strat cat at all and one of the other guitarists in my band has a serious strat complex, but.... there is an almost total absence of opportunities to try various wood combos in our neck 'o the woods (sorry - I couldn't resist it). We are also a bit hazy about the relative merits of US/Mex/Jap sources for strats (no chance to try again) and GAS has taken hold (him, not me).
    Could any of you guys with a lot of experience (and a lot of strats - I've seen the lists!) give us some lowdown on the general TONE characteristics of ash/swamp ash/alder (and others??) bodies in combination with the various types of neck materials and or lengths/profiles and also some idea if the manufacturing country is really important? There are such a lot of choices we don't know where to start.
    We would really appreciate some help before some sales guy turns him upside down and shakes his pockets out!
    Pickups don't matter so much, we know where to go for those (Hi Seymour).
    Ta lots.

Re: What tones from different strat wood combos/sources?

American made Strats are superior in almost all ways. The quality of the wood, the electronics, pickups etc. are all better in quality. Japanese would be my next choice, Mexican 3rd. Fender Custom Shop Guitars are pretty impressive. I have a friend that owns 6 or 7 of them. They are by far some of the better "new" guitars I have played. Several of the "signature" line of guitars are equally impressive. As far as wood combinations are concerned, I find it difficult to explain how wood sounds, but here goes. Consider the sound of Clapton on the Layla album. Alder body, Maple finger board, stock Fender PUPs. Consider Stevie Ray's sound Alder with Rosewood finger board. Both radically different, but both are incredible sounds that most players would die for. IMO if you are looking at a Strat the body is Alder. So the choice is what fingerboard wood do I want, Rosewood or Maple.!!!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

As for the neck woods... expect more bass & highs from a maple neck (scooped mids) and more mids/less high-bass with rosewood....
      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Maple boards and ash bodies give you that "spank," or quick attack.

Comment

Working...
        X