Marshall clean = Fender Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall clean = Fender Twin

Does anyone have a Marshall where you can make your clean channel sound like a Fender Twin?

I feel there's nothing like a cranked up Fender tube amp to get that punchy, chimey clean sound.

On the other hand, I feel like there's nothing like a cranked up Marshall tube amp to get that chunky, growly overdriven sound.

Anyone have the best of both worlds on a Marshall?
    Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Re: Marshall clean = Fender Twin

I think the DSL is as close as it gets...but even then the EL-34's and tone circuit warm up the tone with boosted mids.

Comment

Nope, but I've got the best of both worlds on my Rivera . I've heard good things about the cleans on the DSL's, though.
      "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

What about splitting into a Marshall & Fender? One for dirt the other for clean.

Anyone done it?
        Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Comment

I actually use both. I have a Marshall 900 Combo 50watt, which I A/B with a 69 Super reverb. It took me a long time to figure out I could not get all the sounds I wanted from one Amp. I use the Fender for more of the clean work I do, and the Marshall for more of the overdrive/lead work I do. The Black face Supers break up at a lower volume than the silvers do. I like the push of the 10's a little better than the 12's in a twin. The lower output of the Super is more usalble as well. The 900 is not the greatest Marshall I have ever played through, but It is working well with the Super, so I am very happy with the setup. I have been playing this way for a few years now, and for the most part am pleased.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Budweiser
            What about splitting into a Marshall & Fender? One for dirt the other for clean.
            Anyone done it?
            YES! That's a great setup

I can get pretty darn clean with my 1987x.. much more than I could with my 2204. It's a blackface kind of clean though.

The DSLs have a clean sound that is closer to a silverface than the 1987x.
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

If you have the money it sounds very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Budweiser

Anyone done it?
                I've thought about doing that. But it's much easier to use a good OD/DIST.
                pedal into my twin. OK ,I know nothing roars like a pair of EL34s, But I just
                blew the dust off a Tube Works tube driver I bought years ago. I gotta
                say... It's damm close
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

At one point, I had a dual amp setup with a modded Marshall Superbass,
                  a Fender Dual Showman Reverb head, and a Marshall 1960AV stereo cab.
                  That was a great rig! I had a Lehle Amp Switcher hooked up to both heads so I could ABY the two heads. The Fender went to the left side, and the Marshall went to the right side. That way I didn't have to have two cabs, plus I could run both amps at the same time for a huge sound.

After growing tired of that setup, I finally sprung for the Bogner, which I'll never regret. Two amp setups are great, but tiresome to lug around.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

get a BadCat

Comment

well my hiwatt sounds pretty nice clean.......but i like to crank it for a huge sound, and play it in unison with my twin.........a hiwatt isnt the same kinda of grit of a marshall, but its girth and smooth overdrive i prefer more

so im usin a hiwatt with a twin......its perfect for me
                      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                      >cord<
                      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Jeff Seal of "The Speaker Surgeon" who was a member of the old forum told me that on the 2 channel JCM 800's he has a modification that can get you Fender Blackface cleans and all the Marshall crunch you want....and at reasonable volumes.

Scott_F got to hear it I believe at the last Texas jam. I will ultimately send my JCM 800 to him for that very mod.
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Che, yeah, I've got that. Oh and I've got an axe that does Fender and Gibson tones perfectly, too.

...seriously tho, i think you pretty much just have to pick one or the other.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Well, if you had the know how, the time, and the money, i'm sure theres SOME way to combine them into one amp.... just take one channel of the twin, and the dirt channel on the marshall (or the bright or regular channel, if its a vintage one). I bet it'd be possible to fit all that, the 6L6GCs and EL34s... but i dunno
                            '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                            Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                            '66 Fender Bassman
                            Fender Champion 600
                            Fender Stage 100

Comment

Yes, it's reasonably easy with a Marshall 2210/05 and the combo's. The one's that I've modded for the Fender/ Marshall combo are exactly that... Fender AB763 BF Twin circuit exact and your choice of Marshall's...(2203/4, Silver Jubilees, Later model 800 ch switcher, Plexi....or any of the previous modded to whatever degree)

Or you can even get Fender/Marshall/Mesa if you like....

Modifying a Twin is harder than these particular Marshall's...as the plate voltages are higher in most Marshall's than Fender's..(easy enough to reduce preamp plate voltages to Fender specs..)

It works, and it works flawlessly, with little compromise other than the cab differences between the closed back 412 vs. my Twins open back 212 config.

Fwiw..
                              Jeff Seal
                              ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                              www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Working...
                              X